From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 6 Feb 2010 16:15:19 -0500
Let me try to answer some of the questions that have come up here.  For more
information, not an official NLS website, look at the FAQ and other links on

  www.bardtalk.com
which is run by David Bond and Alan Lemley.

If you have firmware version 2.1.0 or later on your player, you switch among
books on a cartridge by holding down the Play key for a couple of seconds
until the player says "Bookshelf" and the number of your book on the
bookshelf.  You select different books by means of Fast Forward and Rewind
keys (you can also use Next and Previous keys if you have an Advanced model
player).  After you find the book you want, press Play to select it.

ILA has cables for the NLS cartridge, but no more cartridges.  Cartridges
and/or extension cables can be bought from Perkins Products and the American
Printing House.  Perkins.org and aph.org .

If you go to accessibleworld.org and look through the Special Programs
section, you can hear a talk I gave about the DTB program on January 26 and
a demonstration of the player by Brian Albriton on November 30.

Any books you get on cartridge can also be found on the NLS Braille and
Audio Reading Downloads site,
  https://nlsbard.loc.gov
.  The number of books on cartridge is increasing, and we expect to provide
most of the talking book service on cartridges through the mail.  But for
those who can learn to download, unzip and copy books, there are more than
17,400 choices of books and more than 1,300 magazine issues, including
recent QST's.

If the power stays on in my neighborhood, I expect to be on the
cross-country net tomorrow.
73,
Lloyd Rasmussen, W3IUU, Kensington, Maryland
Home:  http://lras.home.sprynet.com
Work:  http://www.loc.gov/nls
 www.facebook.com/lloyd.rasmussen
Talking Books are the opiate of the masses.