AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Vera Crowell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 2010 11:38:09 -0500

                           PLEASE REMIT YOUR AAM DUES
                          Visit: www.AfricanAssociation.org !!!

From the Guttmacher Institute (collects data for Planned Parenthood):

• The reasons women give for having an abortion underscore their understanding of the responsibilities of parenthood and family life. Three-fourths of women cite concern for or responsibility to other individuals; three-fourths say they cannot afford a child; three-fourths say that having a baby would interfere with work, school or the ability to care for dependents; and half say they do not want to be a single parent or are having problems with their husband or partner.[8]

CONTRACEPTIVE USE

• Fifty-four percent of women who have abortions had used a contraceptive method (usually the condom or the pill) during the month they became pregnant. Among those women, 76% of pill users and 49% of condom users report having used their method inconsistently, while 13% of pill users and 14% of condom users report correct use.[9]

• Forty-six percent of women who have abortions had not used a contraceptive method during the month they became pregnant. Of these women, 33% had perceived themselves to be at low risk for pregnancy, 32% had had concerns about contraceptive methods, 26% had had unexpected sex and 1% had been forced to have sex.[9]
~ 49.5 million US abortions since 1973; ~ 18 million Black babies aborted since 1973; ~ 5.6 million abortions in Africa between 1995-2003; ~ 12 million Africans sold into slavery between 15th - 19th centuries; ~ 2 million Africans died during Middle Passage (not known for certain).