From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 2010 11:19:40 -0400

I got back a reply from Kestenbaum Oat Matzah, referring to an email that I never received. I haven't a clue what letter he or she is talking about.  I'm sure they had me confused with someone else, since there is another name (Linda Kazlow) in the email from the rabbi.

But more important, I don't find his explanation clear, so I am just copying and pasting (below) the replies and leaving it up to you to decide if you're interested in their product. I did tell them in my original post that their reply would be shared with my friends and the listserv.

There are probably only a few people on the listserv who really need the oat matzah. The bigger issue is how we are still not on a standard worldwide and that there is still confusion over the gluten in oats.

I am including the quote from their website, which appears on their box in similar language. "Shemura Oat Matzos, made from Shemura Oat flour, are fully produced from the harvest to the baking, under the supervision of Dayan Osher Westheim, Manchester Beth Din to enable persons sensitive to wheat matzos to keep the mitva of matzo on Pesach." And yes, I totally realize the difference between wheat and gluten, but my point is if something is wheat-free and contains no source of barley or rye which are not allowed on Passover, putting aside someone's personal sensitivity to oats, the product should be gluten-free. But I couldn't get them to agree to that. In one sentence, he says 5ppm. In another, he says 80ppm. I give up.

An outside source wrote to me to say that the product was marked gluten-free in the past, but when tested, it failed to meet new, lower British standards, so they had to stop labeling it as gluten-free. I do agree with Rabbi Kestenbaum or his daughter (Ruth?), that we will all benefit when we all have one standard.

Lin