Date:
Sat, 22 May 2010 20:07:09 -0500

Hi All~~

It seems my thyroid hormone levels are off...again...and I need help from
anyone who can tell me what my numbers are really telling me.

First, I take levothyroxine and Cytomel (T4 and T3, respectively). In
December, all of my labs were good (don't have the numbers, though). I moved
to another state and haven't been feeling so great, so the doc ran T4, T3
and TSH. This is what he said in his letter - the wording is a little
confusing to me.

" The free T4 level of 1.11 is normal and the total T3 level of 122 is
normal. Your TSH, however, is over suppressed at 0.116, suggesting that
perhaps your total dose of thyroid is too high. This result is confusing to
me..."

Can anyone help me understand why the TSH would be low? I've been cold,
overly fatigued, lots of memory problems, seriously constipated, achy, etc.
since February. What do we do about raising the TSH? I should rely on my doc
to figure this out, but most of us with thyroid issues know how hard it is
to get good treatment. I'm pretty sure that many people on this listserv
know more than many docs.

This doc wants to attribute my low body weight to my hypothyroidism, but I'm
pretty sure I'm underweight due to a combination of gluten intolerance,
periodic acute pancreatitis and occasional elevated liver enzymes, in spite
of the fact that I'm very strictly GF.

I searched the archives for the topic of "thyroid" back to January 2000.
Nothing that I read, and I read most of what was remotely connected, told me
why my TSH would be low and what might be the treatment in such cases,
especially when the T4 and T3 are normal. (I stay away from soy products and
brocolli.)

Any suggestions/information will be greatly appreciated. I'll be glad to
summarize if anyone is interested...

Thanks so much!  ~~Ayn in Kansas