From:
Rita Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rita Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jan 2010 15:12:33 -0600

Snow brand chopped clams andtheir clam juice are GF.

Well, I know Snow's clam chowder is gluten free, so I would just open a bunch of cans, hide the evidence, and call it my own. ;)

Progresso now says GF right on the blue can! Sometimes you can get it on a good sale, 99 cents per can.  Progresso soups make a great New England Clam Chowder that is gluten-free.  It's much better than what I can make

I have been stocking up on "Kettle Cuisine" frozen soups from the freezer section at Hanaford and the co-op.  They make a really good clam chowder and a whole lot of others.  I always have some on hand for a quick lunch or dinner.  They are seriously the best store-bought soups I have ever had!  http://www.kettlecuisine.com/Our-Soup.aspx

Fresh clams in the shell are certainly GF. And I've yet to see a canned clam that isn't GF.

You also have to decide whether you want a Manhattan clam chowder or a New England one. Very different creatures.

I make potato soup and add canned clams (drained) to it at the end, and simmner

I used Morton's brand canned clams. Instead of flour, I use a little cornstarch to thicken it--or you could use tapioca starch too. I just follow a regular recipe with these substitutions.

FYI:  Just a comment.  When I read your post on Listserv, further down the page was a recipe by someone for fish chowder. She said that Worcestershire sauce was the "secret ingredient".  Since you need to be gluten free, just be sure to use Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce, if you use this ingredient.  It is gluten free! Some Worcestershire sauces are NOT gluten free.

New England Oregon Clam Chowder:
1/2 pound bacon (chopped)
1 medium onion (chopped)
4 celery ribs (chopped)
2 Tbs GF flour mix
4 large or 5 medium potatoes (diced)
2 Tbs butter
8 ounces clam juice (1 bottle)
2-3 6 ounces cans of chopped clams
3 cups milk (I use 1%)
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 tsp thyme
2-4 Tbs GF flour mix or cornstarch to thicken as needed
Salt and pepper to taste (I used about 1-1/2 tsps of each)

In a large stock pot cook bacon over medium heat until crispy. Remove the bacon and set aside. Drain all but 1 Tbs of bacon drippings out of the pot.

Add chopped celery and onion to the pot and cook over medium heat until tender. Next, add butter and 2 Tbs GF flour mix to the pot.

Add potatoes, salt and pepper, 1 bottle (8 ounces) of clam juice, and the liquid from the canned clams. Cook the potatoes at a low simmer over medium heat until tender. Try not to over cook them or they will become mashed potatoes. Do not add the clams yet or they will become a little rubbery through the cooking process.

Here is a picture of the bottle of clam juice in case you have never seen it. You could use water if you don't have clam juice. I think clam juice is just one of those things you have to close your eyes, add it to the pot and not think about it too much. Kind of like anchovy paste.

Add the milk, cream, clams, bacon, and thyme. Continue cooking over medium heat. Don't allow the chowder to come to a boil at this point. Adjust seasoning as needed and use GF flour or cornstarch mixed into a slurry with a little water to thicken the clam chowder to your liking. Serve with a nice toasted slice of gluten free french bread. Enjoy!!!

GF/CF New England Clam Chowder

3-5 leeks, cut off roots, dice white part put into large pot with
3 Tablespoons olive oil
add 3 stalks celery, diced
1/8 teaspoon minced garlic

Heat and cook slowly, while stirring, for about 10 minutes add 2 Tablespoons Sorghum flour, stir for 3 minutes.  Wash 5 medium potatoes, microwave, until soft, then dice Add potatoes and 2&1/2 cups clam juice (Snow brand is GF).  Simmer 10 minutes with lid on.

Add 3 cups potato milk (www.vancesfoods.com) or rice milk (No cow milk as it will burn)
Add 3-4 cups chopped clams
Salt and pepper to taste
bring to boil, then cover and simmer 10 minutes
Add 3 tablespoons Earth balance butter substitute
stir until melted, over low heat
Add Betty Crocker Potato Buds until reaches desired thickness (tablespoon at a time) bring to light boil, stirring constantly take from heat and serve with Glutino Gluten Free Crackers (they taste close to saltines)

Gluten Free Clam Chowder
70 Minutes to Prepare and Cook

1 -10 oz can clams drained
2 cups of 1% milk
4 pieces of celery
1 medium onion
1 tbs Butter
3 small potatoes cubed

Directions:

Cook onions and celery in butter until soft. Add potatoes, clams and milk. Simmer on low for 1 hour or until potatoes are soft.

Number of Servings: 5

Fish ChowderI haven't had clam chowder in years, but my husband and my very picky non-gf family love my fish chowder and they swear it tastes just like really good clam chowder. Here's my version the recipe from The Feingold Cookbook for Hyperactive Children (out-of-print, as far as I know).  I've made several changes over the years.

Directions:

Slightly undercook 4-5 cubed, peeled potatoes, either on the stove or in microwave, in just enough water to cover the potatoes.

While potatoes cook:
In a deep pot (that has a lid), saute on medium to low heat, in 3 tbs butter or margarine, with a little oil to keep it from burning,
1-2 onions, peeled and diced
1 cup of sliced button mushrooms (optional)
2-3 cloves of peeled, smushed garlic (optional)
1 diced stalk celery
2 diced carrots, peeled or not peeled
Stir well and keep on medium to low heat. Stir periodically to keep bottom from burning.
When the veggies look like they're starting to soften, quickly stir in about a half cup of your favorite gluten-free flour (no xanthan gum, no extras, just flour). I usually use white rice flour. I've tried potato starch
and it gets too gelatinous.
Definitely on low heat, add 1 quart of milk....your favorite kind. I use a mix of Lactaid fat free and regular milk, to cut down on the lactose reaction I sometimes get. But you can use soy, whatever. Make sure you
scrape the bottom when stirring.

While this warms (DO NOT let it boil.) Add about 2 pounds of fresh cod or halibut, cut into chunks. (I cut them on paper plates, so I don't get raw fish in my cutting boards.) Mush the potatoes down a little in their own water and add the potatoes and the water in which they cooked to the pot....carefully. It's hot. It
splashes.

Stir in fresh ground pepper and Old Bay Seasoning. I'm very generous with these.
Stir in fresh (diced up) or dried dill and parsley, and maybe a leaf or basil, diced up, if you have fresh basil.
And the secret ingredient....a few splashes of Worcestershire sauce. The recipe calls for soy sauce, but I prefer Worcestershire.  You may have to try tasting the chowder, as you add the flavorings. I'm
sorry, I just do it by feel. I've been making it for over 30 years. And it's a personal choice.

You'll notice, I don't add salt. The Old Bay is very salty. If you're using less Old Bay, you will need to salt the chowder.

I'm sorry, but I'll have to defer to the list for how to substitute clams for the fresh fish. I keep a kosher home, so I don't bring shellfish into the house.  But the fish chowder....everyone loves it. It will keep refrigerated for several days, but you cannot freeze it, because of the milk