From:
Kimberlee Ullner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kimberlee Ullner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 2010 06:41:43 -0700

In the recent weeks, there have been several posts and other Internet postings attacking Snyders of Hanover and accusing them of trying to market gluten free pretzels that weren't really gluten free.  I am attaching below information that Snyders of Hanover pretzels are certified gluten free by the GFCO (part of the Gluten Intolerance Group).  Unfortunately, in my opinion, there are people who have rushed to judgment and who have lodged allegations against Snyders that were simply unfair.  I have personally spoken to the President of the Company and other very high level executives.  Snyders has been in the process of undergoing gluten free certification since the fall of 2009 -- for those unfamiliar with the process, it is a lengthy one.  And, consumers can have confidence in the gluten-free integrity of products certified gluten free by the GFCO.  Their GFCO status has NOTHING to do with the challenge posted earlier.

For those who accused Snyders of trying to pass off pretzels that would make us sick, just for the money -- even if their GF pretzels sell well (and I understand they will be lower in fat and sodium and are produced in the United States -- personally, I prefer a healthier option and a company that supports US jobs), this would be a very small part of any total sales for the company.

Attacking companies in the way that was done to Snyders is totally unfair.  I would ask that other listmates be sure to check their facts, for themselves, before posting allegations that could damage a company's reputation irreparably.

... just my two cents.

And, please, do not attack me now because of my opinion.  Let's move forward in a positive way to support companies that are supporting us.

Kim.

Snyder’s of Hanover, Inc.
1250 York Street  · PO Box 6917
Hanover, PA 17331-0917 USA
717-632-4477 ·  fax 717-632-7207
www.snydersofhanover.com

April 1, 2010

Based upon the responses received from members of the gluten free community to my letter of March 30, 2010, I understand that there are some additional questions and/or concerns that my previous letter did not address.  Hopefully, this letter will shed more light on the situation.

Snyder’s of Hanover has been working with the Gluten Free Certification Organization (GFCO), a program of the Gluten Intolerance Group (GIG), since September 2009.  As of today, we are happy to announce that our Gluten Free Pretzel Sticks will be GFCO certified.  Due to the nature of the discussions with GFCO, we were required to maintain confidentiality until the contract was finalized today.  In my previous response, I was unable to further elaborate on and fully address your concerns until this process was complete.

Our Hanover, PA baking facility was originally inspected and approved for gluten sanitation on July 16, 2009.  Guidelines of the GF certification subject our Gluten Free Pretzel Sticks to ongoing gluten testing using GFCO-approved testing methods to meet the minimum GFCO standard of less than 10 ppm gluten in finished product.  We also will undergo random manufacturing inspections to uphold the integrity of our gluten free certification.  This testing protocol was developed by GFCO and Snyder’s will fully comply with this industry leading standard in all aspects of production.

Our gluten-free pretzels have been in development for over a year and have undergone rigorous testing and modifications to ensure it met GFCO requirements and consumer taste standards before it was presented at EXPO West.  We would never market a product that would intentionally or unintentionally harm our consumers, gluten intolerant or not.

I apologize for what has been perceived as the cavalier comments of one of our associates.  I assure you it is not the opinion or philosophy of the company or of the individual, as it was presented to you.  Snyder’s of Hanover operates with the highest ethics; superior quality and safety dictate all that we do.  We are committed to understanding and meeting the needs of you and all of our consumers.

Sincerely,

Carl Lee
President and CEO
Snyder’s of Hanover