BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Dec 2009 09:31:00 -0500
Leland Torrence wrote:
> On another note (John?) what is y'alls' thoughts on cell phone activity on the job site?
Leland,

John does not have a cell phone. So he may not hear this? Unless this
morning he is once again chewing on stainless steel rods sunk into the
earth.

I think that cell phone activity is conditional based on the circumstance.

1. when a core drill is needed ASAP because the one you have been using
suddenly burnt up it is good that several people have cell phones and go
into action to locate a replacement
2. I don't like them when I am working because when they ring they break
my flow, I try to leave it in the truck, besides, I strive to manage
that nothing is all that important it cannot wait, even if I cannot wait
3. when I forget and leave it in my hip holster it tends to call my
friends all by itself... I have enough trouble when it fools me into
calling my friends when what I was really trying to do was get the weather
4. it works real good to look up the weather and the weather radar, I
have full internet access on it... though I refuse to do e-mails with
it, but I can send notes to myself
5. I like to be able to text message, essential communications quick and
easy... no text messaging while running a lift, banging on a stone or
driving a truck
6. I have trouble hearing... thus I kinda really hate the phone... I got
a blue tooth earpiece for motorcycle dudes and I can hear real well,
when it works, lately it does not want to work
7. I hate the phone under most any conditions, cell phone or otherwise,
so if I call you it is an act of desperation or I really do care this
time to talk to you
8. at a meeting I try to place the cell phone on the table, mine does
other stuff like calculations, MS Word and Excel capable, audio
recording... but if it rings I hit 'ignore' unless it is a real
emergency... your time, our face time, is important and valued
9. if there is a dead space in the work flow then I can read stories on
it, it helps me not get impatient... I could listen to music, but that
is a whole other thing to talk about
10. the cell phone is the only phone that I use, though I just got a
Google Voice number
11. where/when I don't want to use it, on the train (I detest people
that yack on their cell on the train), in a bookstore, while driving if
I can at all help it, while asleep

David can add to this list and tell you all the stuff that I do w/or
about cell phones that is irritating.

][<en