Ken O'Neill <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 31 Dec 2009 09:43:33 -0600
If you check past articles at t-nation.com, you'll find a 2 part series by
John Berardi and John Williamson entitle Built Like A Neanderthal.
Williamson specializes in physical anthropology including ancient diets. The
article is pro-Paleo with well reasoned, evidence based consideration. Since
there is not full and complete general agreement regarding Paleo, it seems
best to treat it as a genre rather than a fixed system.

Devany is certainly admirable; however, his insistence on 'his way' with
respect to his version of HIT stands as little more than yet another theory
- and one were, like Jones, he's out of his depth. I've yet to see a Paleo
orientation to sports nutrition truly associated with surfing the curve of
training various components of strengths (plural). Cordain's work comes very
close, especially with respect to averaging about 200 gms of protein intake.

As for addressing fitness forums, the evidence is rather clear that our
metabolic blueprint established at least 50,000 years ago includes fitness -
only ignorance or tribal sluggishness would bifurcate strength training and
diet. Evans and Rosenberg's landmark work of 20 years ago and a host of
subsequent confirmative research indicates contemporary chronic degenerative
diseases are rooted in the inseparable conditions of muscle wasting
(sarcopenia or loss of type II fiber) and associated metabolic syndrome. To
the economic advantage of the dominating pharmaceutical monopoly, components
of metabolic syndrome (e.g., type II diabetes) are treated and medicated as
if they were stand along diseases. Plenty of evidence demonstrates those
conditions can be prevented, arrested and reversed by means  of up to six
times weekly strength training combined with Paleo oriented eating, and
likely special supplements (e.g., folic acid or one of its metabolites, b12,
acetyl l-carnitine, beta-alanine, creatine monohydrate).

For those with metabolic symptom and past 50, the HIT type approach is
utterly ridiculous. Dr Ron Laura's Matrix principle training using light
resistance in patterns of full, partial reps with static holds inducing
vascular occlusion puts muscle back on without stressing already inflamed
joints. Scott Abel's metabolic training (cf July and August 2008 Iron Man
Magazine for my two part article on MET) is another approach.

Most daunting is Paul Burke's recently published Neo Dieter's Handbook, a
fabulous application of Paleo to health, fitness, and strength training. A
former physique champ, Paul's combination of his adaptation of Paleo and
training have staved off MS for 15 years for him.