From:
Butch Bussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 2010 21:40:46 -0800
Yep, that is for sure.  And, if you think about it, swr on the antenna
wires themselves is what makes them work, but that is another story.
Actually with today's rigs, swr is much over rated, and is important.
Not so much that it won't transmit as well, all things being equal, but
these solid state radios want a good match both on receive and transmit.
  Way back when, a lot of guys ran as much wire as they could get up.
They center fed this with open ladder line and through a tuner such as
the Johnson matchbox and then to the radio.  The tuner kept the rig
happy, (tube rigs weren't all that particular to a point), and they put
out a very gbood signal, even though the swr was very high.  This is
really a complicated and often misunderstood subject. But, to keep it
simple, as far as your radio is concerned, 1.5 or less is ideal.  Of
corse, a good tuner can match anything, but it depends on feed line loss
radiation resistance and so forth.  A flat free space dipole if I
remember right, has a feed impedence of around 70 ohms so your swr is
going to be 70/50 or  which is 1.4 to one.  If your dipole is an
inverted v, dropping the ends changes the impedence, I think it lowers
it, but I'm not sure about that.  I run a solid state magnus amp that
pulls around 80 amps on 12 volts, and the lower the impedence, the more
it kicks out as far as power.  If the antenna shows an impedence of 25
ohms, even though the swr is 2 to one, the amp loves it.  If the
impedence was a hundred ohms, same swr, the amp doesn't work nearly as
well.

I've bored you all long enough.

Later.
73