From:
Pat Byrne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Oct 2009 17:19:53 -0500
Hi Tom,
I've been watching this thread and have an idea or two.  I guess I am
old school and want a ground.  I am currently grounded to the rod
outside of the house - used by the electric and phone companies.  No
idea how long it is.  I have a ten footer that will be driven just
where my various cables enter the house, being closer than the
current rod and of known length.  And I'll connect the two existing
rods together.  Also and perhaps not until spring I will run wire out
along the fence that encloses our back yard perhaps using a lawn
edging tool to open a slot to drop the wire in and then pressing the
ground back down over the wire.  Soon you'd never know that the
ground had been cut.  And maybe I'd continue that wire around the
house, away from the back yard.  My thought is that the more rods and
radials you can get in place, the better you'll be.  A long time ago
when a lot of us local guys were very young and more ambitious than
now, we worked 160 and several of us spent the summer adding rods and
radials and noting that our ground wave signals kept improving.  Of
course there is a point where the difference becomes academic and
theoretical but a ground will make a difference in how you get out
and how much or little RF hangs out in the shack.
Good luck and find some young guy you can give ten bucks to to sink
that damned rod!!!