From:
jerry wald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Feb 1995 15:21:05 -0500

On Wed, 15 Feb 1995 Bill Elkus wrote:

> Although it is always unfortunate when a product goes from being GF to having
> gluten, at least the manufacturer of Pringles was responsible to the Celiac
> community.  They placed adds in several leading Celiac association newsletters
> (even paid for a special mailing at the Celiac Disease Foundation) in order to
> warn Celiacs of the change.

Isn't the real issue here that food products both in the U.S.A. and
Canada are inadequately labelled?  If Proctor and Gamble (the makers of
Pringles) change from potato starch to wheat starch, with all due
respect, the label should SAY SO.  We should all be lobbying our
Senators, Congresspersons, and Members of Parliament so that ALL
sources of gluten are CLEARLY labelled.  It concerns me that a celiac
who knew at one time that Pringles were OK would continue to eat them
because he/she didn't see any announcement, etc. regarding the change
from potato starch to wheat starch. Proper labelling, enforced through
legislation  would solve the problem.

Jerry Wald                      e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Sheridan College
Brampton, Ontario
Canada