From:
Bill Elkus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 1995 17:27:47 EDT

Pastariso is a brand of rice pasta made in Ontario and available at many health
food stores in the United States.  They have many different shapes and flavors,
and the taste is excellent.  It is the only brand (to my knowledge) which has
available pasta made from organic rice flour -- although not all of the
product-line is organic.

The last four cartons which I purchased of Pastario were infested with
insects.  I returned them to the local health food store (Mrs. Gooch's in LA)
and faxed the company.  Today, I received a faxed reply and a phone call from
the company's Vice President of Marketing, Raj Sukul.  He said they had tracked
down the problem, it was due to storing finished product in a public warehouse
which also handled other foods and grains.  They brought in experts from
University of Guelph and Quaker to review their entire operation, had
implemented their recommendations and restarted production.  They also promised
to ship me free replacement product "to encourage you to keep using our
products"

Although I was very upset at the problem, it does happen with other organic
products, too.  I was very impressed with the way the company (LifeSource
Natural Foods, Inc. (905) 831-5433) handled the affair.

If you have this product in your pantry, please check it carefully for weevils
and/or weevil eggs.  I found many of both.

Bill Elkus
Los Angeles