From:
"J. Murray" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Dec 1994 23:45:03 -0600

thank you for the response.
The response of the celiac's intestinal mucosa seems to be specific to
certain sequences of aminoacids that are found in the various grains
Wheat, barley, rye and oats.  A jumble of individual amino acids will not
cause the same response that we know of. Our knowledge of what causes the
reaction is based on three observations.
1. The response of known celiac to challenges of specific grain proteins
2. Biochemical analysis of protiens and taxonomy( see dr kasorda's
earlier posts to the conference for details.
3. some tests in vitro on tissue biopsies to amino-acid sequences.

Because of the variabilty of response times and sensitivity between
individuals it is quite difficult to be certain about other more exotic
grains.  Some celiacs dont respond to oats.  However as I have already
pointed out there may be covert damage ongoing in some individuals
despite lack of acute symptoms.
It is unlikely to be just high molecular weight proteins causes problems.
There very rare reports of other food proteins causing similar leasions
to CD. In I know of only one definite one  to soy even though a number of
CD patients report symtoms with soy.
  My approach is that if a patient with celiac disease knowingly takes
gluten containing food on a regular basis I suggest that a follow up
biopsy be done to ensure that covert damage is occurring.
Of course I much prefer if the individual would eat safe remain well.
Joe Murray.