Date:
Fri, 21 Aug 2009 00:45:05 -0500
First let me say thank you for all your help and information that you
have given me on this problem.
I followed the advise and ran scan disk from safe mode.  Everything
appeared to be working fine, still had that 3.3gb fragment when
finished, but everything was back up to speed and seemed to be working
fine until this evening.  I am a hobby photographer and my picture files
average around 28 mbs.  Normally the computer has no problem dealing
with 2-3 of them being opened and working on them.  This evening I only
had photoshop and 1 picture that I was working on and the screen started
'whiteing' out except for the task bar and the top bar of photoshop and
the system slowed to a crawl.  Does this mean that either my picture
files or photoshop is part of that fragment?  How would I find out?  How
do I tell if the hard drive is starting to go bad?  Recommendations?
Advise?
Thanks in advance,
Regina Long
Hi,
I'm having something going on with my hard drive and was wondering if
you could tell me what to do about it.  Saturday I uninstalled Microsoft
office and then attempted to reinstall it.  It gave me an error and said
that one of the installation files was already on my hard drive.  So per
Microsoft I renamed the old file and installation proceeded normally.  I
ran my Saturday maintence of spybot/windows update/etc. and then I
defragged.  Thats when it came up with a 3.33 gb fragment.  It also
showed that there were 29 other fragments of various sizes.  The
computer during this time slowed to a crawl.  So today I thought I would
rerun defragmenter and the results were that it gave me one huge
fragment of 3.34 gb of owner\application.  I restarted and tried to run
scan disk and it took 2 seconds and booted into windows.  Any ideas of
what is going on here?  Suggestions on what to try?
Thanks in advance for your help,
Regina Long
Sapulpa
Windows XP Pro version 2002