From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Dec 2009 21:37:48 -0800
Hi Ken,
There are some very good reasons that both athletes and those
pathetically lacking in fitness should avoid casein. First, milk is a
food designed by nature or evolution, depending on your paradigm, to
feed infants. Second, casein contains eight opioid sequences such as
have been shown to down-regulate facets of the human immune system and
alter blood flow patterns in the brain. Third, several peptides from
casein resist digestion and have sequence homology with some self
tissues and when macromolecular leakage into the bloodstream occurs, a
process called molecular mimicry is triggered to incite autoimmunity.

If the researchers recommending these proteins are not familiar with or
not persuaded by this research, then they will likely recommend such
nutritional strategies. However, I have dealt with two body builders who
insisted on the value of their casein/whey powders but who both admitted
to feeling better and performing better after excluding these proteins
from their regimens.

Best Wishes,
Ron Hoggan