VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Ford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Ford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jul 2010 07:00:16 -0700
I use a tuner card with Windows Media Center and Windows 7 and the
combination works relatively well.  The main sections of Windows Media
Center are read with screen readers.  Some text, like detailed program
descriptions, isn't really read but I'm able to schedule recordings review
the program guide and such.  I use this on my main television and it works
well.

Before you venture into this technology, you should understand what you are
going to need to receive the TV signal. For example in my case just having
the tuner isn't enough.  Comcast, who I used to have, and Verizon FIOS, who
I have now, both use exclusively digital signals and there is no analog
channel availability any longer.  The end result meant that I needed a TV
tuner card that supports what's called a CableCard.  This basically allows
the tuner to decryptic the digital signal and comes from the cable company.

The tuner card I use is described at
http://www.amd.com/us/products/pctv/tv-wonder-tuners/Pages/digital-cable-tun
er.aspx.  This is a single tuner.  Supposedly there is a newer card due out
soon, if it isn't out already from another company, that supports the
Cablecard technology and allows for four tuners.

Before Comcast made the switch to all digital, my older tuner card could
tune channels 1-99 of my cable system.  The other channels were still sent
only in digital form.

If you are interested in the Media Center route, there is a web site at
www.thegreenbutton.com that has all kindsof info on using Windows Media
Center.

I've tried a few different tuner options over the years.  Most of the
software didn't work too well with screen readers in my experience.  But in
most cases you are not locked into using the software that comes with the
tuner, which is why I use Media Center.

Let me know if I can help further.

Kelly