VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mike Pietruk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Pietruk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 2010 20:06:30 -0400
Harry

You raise a lot of points here.  I will not say much about why this list
is inactive (relatively speaking) but note to you that a list such as
Blindtech on Yahoogroups has upwards of 1,000 subscribers with hundreds of
msgs posted daily.

More germane to this discussion is a rather common misconception among
blind folks that somehow a sighted user, when presented with an unfamiliar
bit of technology, can suddenly and instantaneously use it effectively.
Manufacturers would love this, but this hardly is the case.  Granted, some
folks grab on to a technology faster than others, but that is the same
among blind users.

When you first raised the issue of the usability of the SmartPhone, you
complained that it seemed unusable to you as a blind person.  That is a
valid complaint that many of us might make on any number of products.  But
others stepped out to indicate that your first impressions are not the
case as blind users across the globe are successfully using Apple's
products.  Granted, a personal dislike for how a product may have to be
used is understandable; but this is a completely different matter than if
or if not the product under discussion is usable by a blind person.

The choice, as I see it, is a simple one:  either you have to figure out
how other blind people are using the phone or simply not use it.  That is
the same marketplace decision millions of others have to make daily on all
sorts of products.
You most certainly can and should voice your ideas for future models to
Apple but that hardly in this instance is an accessability issue.  Rather,
it is a personal comfort issue which all of us have with certain products,
operating systems, et al.

As David C has indicated, a couple of email lists exist
where these phones are routinely  discussed with experienced users
offering their input.  Moreover, I suspect that doing some Googling will
also bring up some resources.

It seems that in this instance, Apple has done its homework.  Sure it can
be improved (as most things can) but this probably doesn't warrant
taxpayer expense.

The lesson here (and for me included) is to first research something
before concluding that something cannot be used.  I too upon occasion have
jumped to a similar conclusion as you have, Harry, on things only to learn
over time and with use that my initial apprehension was thankfully
unwarranted.

it's important for all of us to revere, rely
on, and obey every word from God, whether we are kings, presidents, cooks, housewives,
plumbers, pastors, students, or servants.

David Jeremiah
http://www.davidjeremiah.org

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]