VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ted chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ted chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jan 2010 06:16:53 -0700
Hi to all.

Brian,
I went to http://www.blindradio.com, and I think I found your problem. The streaming address for this file ends with a .pls which Windows Media tries to play if the "mpeg movie file" is checked in the file types, not the mp3 Harry unchecked. You could attempt to uncheck the "mpeg movie file" in Windows Media player, but you have probably discovered (like I have) that JAWS does not tell you which media files in Windows Media Player are unchecked. However, *unlike Winamp *usually, Windows Media will not try to load the file type if it is checked in some other media player, and JAWS *will *read if a file type is unchecked (it says "Not Selected") in Winamp; hence, you need to check and change the Winamp file types settings. To check and change file types in Winamp, do the following:

1. Open Winamp.

2. Press ctrl+p to open the "Preferences" menu.

3. Use your arrow keys until JAWS says "File Types" (it's the second one from the top).

4. Press the tab key twice until JAWS says "File Types Select".

5. Using your up and down arrow keys, find the pls, mp3, and m3u file types. If JAWS says "Not Selected" in front of any of these file types, press the spacebar on that file type to select it.

6. Press ctrl+tab once to where JAWS says "Close" and press enter.

7. Exit Winamp.

8. Try replaying your selection from blindradio.com.

Hope this helps.

Ted