VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John McCann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John McCann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jan 2009 13:36:51 -0500
Bill:

In my opinion, SpinRite 6.0, available from Gibson Research Corporation:

www.grc.com

is the absolute gold standard in hard drive maintenance and recovery. I
believe it still goes for $80. The big downside: it operates by booting from
a version of FreeDOS which is loaded into the computer's random access
memory, and hence this disk maintenance utility is totally inaccessible to
screen readers. If you have access to sighted assistance (which access needs
to be for as much as a day or so depending on the task you choose and the
size of the hard drive involved), than I would definitely recommend this
program most highly. With the amount of RAM memory available on most
computers today, I'm sure there would be a way to load both a DOS
screen-reader and the SpinRite program into RAM and execute both from same,
thereby creating an accessible version of this program, but you would still
need to either load and operate the computer's sound card driver from RAM or
use an external synthesizer. I love to see someone tackle this project; its
way beyond my capabilities!

John