VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2007 14:18:35 -0500
Please email suggestions concerning list operation
to [log in to unmask]

Much of what you say, inactuality is or will happen.

NLS is currently beta testing a system where people can download
their digital books on-line.  Third parties are working on machines
that will play those books and magazines.

The protection system NLS uses is actually one which is an
International standard devised by members of the DAISY Consortium,
for the whole worldwide blind community to use, so they are not
re-invenventing the wheel, as you say.

Dave

At 12:44 PM 6/21/2007, LM Scaife wrote:
>Please email suggestions concerning list operation
>to [log in to unmask]
>

>I disagree with all of the ideas expressed
>         1.  Just because part of the blind community can't use a computer
>(30%), it shouldn't be a reason for the "elite" to be denied to use the "up
>to date" technology available to read more books in a faster
>turn around time.   It's an error to create a "size fits all" service.
>It's not only denying the "elite" with good available service, but it's also
>denying an insentive for others to use the latest technology.
>         2. The NLS shouldn't have to buy computers or reading machines, but
>rather they should invest in the latest technology as to  provide with more
>books and magazines that are available on demand or "online"
>(it shouldn't take weeks for a blind person to receive a book from a library
>today).
>         3. The technology to provide books "online" securely has been
>available for a while by now.  The NLS shouldn't have to reinvent the wheel
>all over again to provide the same service to the blind community that is
>available to all others.
>
>Lillian

David Andrews and white cane Harry.