From:
Ginny Mingolla <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ginny Mingolla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 May 2010 12:14:55 -0700

This summary will be long so I will keep my opinion short.  I still worry that someone with a gluten intolerance may not take it as serious as someone with celiac.  They may try to eat gluten from time to time.  If the diagnosis is not correct it could do serious damage.

My opinion is that it starts out as an intolerance or sensitivity and then after a while the intolerance can build up to the disease of Celiac if you keep eating gluten. I think it depends on the individual as to what happens. I know that my kids are sensitive to gluten but test negative to the biopsy and tests. So they eat gluten free as to not develop Celiac like I have. I had a gastro tell me that if they continued to eat gluten they might develop Celiac and since they already had all the symptoms and felt well when eating gluten free that made sense. But this is just my opinion.
My confusion to the web site came when viewing the video that said all grains have gluten and we should avoid them all and do a gathering diet. Vegetables, fruit, nuts, meat. Is this the case?  Do all the grains have gluten cuz I thought it was just wheat, rye and barley that caused the issues!! I feel fine when eating the other grains, so now I am confused too.
I think "gluten intolerance" is celiac disease that our current testing and diagnosing abilities are not up to recognizing. Although their diagnosing record is poor, the medical profession has taken possession of the disease and are claiming that only they can produce a diagnosis or a "gold standard diagnosis", relegating many people with celiac to the classification of "gluten intolerance".

 In addition  there are money making possibilities for the marketing of products for "gluten intolerance" - which is not a disease under FDA regulations -  whereas a claim of relief for "celiac disease" - a disease -puts the marketer under FDA jurisdiction and no claims can be made except after long testing & approval processes. So it's in the interests of many persons to promote the existence of "gluten intolerance".
Yes, they are different. I'm not a doctor but this is my understanding for what it's worth. I had genetic testing that put me in the gluten sensitivity (also referred to as gluten intolerant) category. I do not have either of the two genes identified so far for celiac disease - HLA DQ 2, and 8. I do have 2 copies of HLA DQ 1, sub type 6, which is a non autoimmune system gluten sensitivity. I  have a friend  who has a wheat allergy which is a IgE response, where as mine is a IgG response, and celiac is a IgA response. Other differences, I don't react until a few days later which makes it more difficult to identify the offending food and someone with an allergy can  go into anaphylatic shock which may be fatal.
My doctor told me that one could.  I have symptoms and huge relief when on the diet.  That said, it doesn't really matter - if the diet helps, you absolutely use it!  There are people who have positive biopsies and no other symptoms, and I believe it continues to be important for them to follow the diet, because of the horrible long term effects.  All of that said, I hope there are not people who have negative biopsies and aren't on the diet and are accruing long term harm.
Yes, there are a lot of us with gluten intolerance - I am double DQ1.  I cannot even eat GF grains.
check out this forum Gluten Free and Beyond  http://www.glutenfreeandbeyond.org/forum/
 what usually happens with gluten intolerance is that your other organs are attacked like the brain, liver, kidneys, skin, heart etc.  before any villi occurs & we will in all likelihood have negative blood tests.  But, when we go on the diet all our other auto immune issues clear up - like Hidradenitis Suppurative, RA, MS, Fibromyalgia, Lupus etc etc. AND, we almost always have other food intolerances especially dairy and we get diabetes if we are not diagnosed soon enough & go GF. AND the DQ1 gene comes with all the neurological issues, like depression, addictions, dyslexia, ADD, ADHD, bi-polar, migrains - just to name a few in my double DQ1 family.
First there is the debate about DH being Celiac or separate.  Experts go
both ways because the symptoms are completely different.  I have DH and
never a digestive upset.

The huge majority of gluten intolerant people just have the neurological
symptoms but no gut/villi damage.  People researching this area have given
wide guesses of 15 to 40 percent of the population being affected.  It is a new area so not a lot of specifics yet.

Many of us with Celiac or DH also show some of the neurological symptoms
such as migraines, peripheral neuropathy, and dementia just to confuse the
issue.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- Intolerance is a touchy word- and used so freely. Many professionals use the word intolerance to mean celiac yet many non-professionals do not. That is the clear cut difference.