From:
MaryRich Boucher <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
MaryRich Boucher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Sep 2009 15:18:10 -0700

Thanks everyone for the helpful feedback regarding my 3yr. old adopted grandson who has ADHD.  Sorry it took so long to summarize.

Most who responded and who have a child with ADHD or who have ADHD themselves, said a totally gluten free diet was most helpful and showed dramatic improvemement in their ADHD symptoms while following a GF diet.  (eight persons)

1 person whose child did not have ADHD, but had mental health problems, was greatly improved on a GF diet.

1 person whose child was diagnosed with ADHD and Celiac disease at age 2, said the child still had problems with impulsivity.

2 of the people who responded preferred medication to a gluten free diet for their ADHD child

1 person who was an advocate for ADHD said medication is better than a gluten free diet.
.
Finally ---

Ron Hoggan ED. D. ([log in to unmask])  said "he should be tested for celiac disease and gluten sensitivity before he goes on the diet." ... he has written his Master's thesis on this topic (check his address above for the web address, to read it)....  "Regardless of test results, his diet should be as strict as for any celiac patient.  The psychoactive peptides are addictive and the smallest amount keeps the addiction alive."

also I have attached the response from Susan Halter

" I'm a school psychologist who has worked for more than 15 years in public schools, and the majority of that time I have worked with populations with a high incidence of attention and/or behavioral disorders.  It is true that there is a small group of ADHD children who do better with a gluten-free diet and do not have celiac disease due to gluten intolerance issues.
Most often I found these to be children who are autistic or have  sensory integration problems...you can research that on the web if you are unfamiliar with it.  Since you're already doing it, I would say  go for it and see if it makes a difference!  If it does, he's young enough now that it will be easier for him to accept the diet.  I've worked with several students who were diagnosed with celiac during adolescence and the hardest part is getting them to follow the diet all the time.  I'd also say if you are going to do it, I would do it 100%  so that you can get a true picture of how following the diet affects your child.  And it might not be a bad idea to ask your pediatrician to do a Ttg level to screen for possible celiac, just to be sure that he doesn't have celiac!
My celiac symptoms were mainly neurocognitive, including attention and brain fog, when I was diagnosed in my 40's!  No stomach problems whatsoever.

There are so many other things that can contribute to ADHD, including food allergies or sensitivities....a rotation/elimination diet might also be helpful (if you haven't tried that yet), to see if he is reacting to something else."

Hope this helps everyone who was interested in the summary and thanks again everyone for your helpful input.
Mary in MI

*******
*******