THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 18 Feb 2006 13:42:24 EST

In a message dated 2/17/2006 11:17:10 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Does  taking antihistamines block the absorption of iodine?

That's a good question that deserves medical/scientific attention.
So far I found one web article that answers yes:  "Sulfa and  antihistamine
drugs aggravate iodine uptake by the thyroid."
_http://www.iodinesource.com/ThyroidGland.asp_
(http://www.iodinesource.com/ThyroidGland.asp)
(I have no other knowledge of how good this site is.)

I know that antihistamines have always slowed me down, and I'm dependent on
meds to get any thyroid hormone in me.

I'm interested that someone else reacted badly to Zyrtec.  I  was on what was
supposed to be a full replacement dosage of Synthroid (which did  not work
well for me anyway) when one doctor had me try Zyrtec in 1999.   The first day
was okay.  The second day I felt drugged, like a zombie, and  quit taking it.
It took about three days to get it out of my system.   I told the doctor that
it might not be good to give Zyrtec to  hypothyroid people, and he told me
that no one else had a problem.  (I  wondered!)  Thereafter I had only one major
allergy reaction in  2001, and I took only one Zyrtec (Zirtek) to meet the
crisis and no more.

I also got wiped out by the allergy medications that are not supposed to
make people drowsy, like Allegra.  I'm not slamming the products -- they  seem to
work for normies, but not for me.

Instead of antihistamines, I have a bit of success with Vitamin C and
ibuprofen.

(These are rhetorical questions.  I'm not taking a survey.)
How many of us with hypothyroid conditions have allergies, just for
starters?
How many of us with hypothyroid conditions have reduced allergy problems
when we get the right dosage of the right thyroid hormone for our needs?

Peg