EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Denise Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Equal Access to Software & Information <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jun 2009 13:09:30 +0930
Hi Jennison

It is terrific to see so many of us now exploring this rich and important area of emerging technology. Not sure if you saw my earlier posting in response to Katherine about accessibility solutions in 3D virtual worlds, but we are into the second year of a project funded by the Australian Teaching and Learning Council, which involves developing an open source and accessible 3D virtual learning environment. As part of that research we are working collaboratively with Virtual Helping Hands, a voluntary organization developing accessibility solutions in Second Life. They are launching Max the virtual guide dog on Helen Keller Day in Second Life next weekend. We are also co-presenting a poster at the IEEE-IBM accessibility conference in Boston in July. If you are going you might be able to connect up with the team.

We also have a State Government grant investigating the use of social media by children and adolescents with communication impairments. As part of that project we are also exploring technological solutions to increase the social participation of children with disabilities.

Drop me an e-mail ([log in to unmask]) if you are interested in collaborating on these projects!

Cheers

Denisd

Dr Denise Wood
Program Director (Media Arts)