From:
Mary Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jan 2010 12:49:53 -0500

Thank you very much to those who kindly responded to my query about adventurous eating in Japan.

If anyone has travelled in the countryside, eating at old inns and in small towns, I would love to hear from you. There will be a translator available. My question is: aside from sushi and tofu, which I know about, how much else of what is likely to be available will I be able to eat? Or to put it another way: how ubiquitous is soy sauce in Japanese regional cuisine?

Those who responded had various suggestions about grocery stores, being sure to have a laminated card, and eating in department stores. One person suggested that perhaps Japanese soy sauce is not make with wheat. Would that that were so: it does indeed contain wheat.

I very much appreciate the time people take to e-mail. The suggestions so far, however, do not apply to the circumstances I am considering: a guided walking tour on an old path from Kyoto to Hokkaido. Anyone done a trip like that?

best regards,

Mary Brown
NYC