From:
Kit Kellison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kit Kellison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Aug 2009 15:33:23 -0500

Most people won't know about this product, but our Hungarian neighbors
turned us on to it and I've found out it's going to be  marketed in the U.S:
Zwack (the manufacturer)Unicum is a strong, complex liquor made from over
forty herbs, the predominant flavor being a dark licorice taste. It isn't
nearly as sweet as, say, Jagermeister, but isn't for everybody. Our neighbor
says people either love it or hate it. We're on the "love it" side, for
sure. Here's a Wiki article on the beverage:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicum

Here is the letter I received from the manufacturer:

Dear KIT,

As promised I got the 100% confirmation from our product development
/laboratory, that  Unicum is gluten free. We do not use  - during the
production-- neither indirectly nor destillated-   any kind of barley
(Hordeum in Latin)  wheat  (Triticum) or rye  (Secale cereales)
with best regards
Judit Laczai

Zwack Unicum Nyrt
1095 Budapest