From:
Danny Dyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Oct 2009 20:21:34 -0400
Hi Kevin, Thanks for your post, it has  already, and should continue to
generate some good  feedback.
First of all, I find your observations about the MFJ antenna, whatever it
is, to be interesting.  I'm sure the tuner in the rig, effectively matched
the rig to the antenna, but  I'm Not sure as to how you then "tuned the
antenna to get max signal to noise on its' intended frequency band.
These antennae normally use 1 of several methods/whether there are "taps" at
different points along the coil, to which you atatch a jumper; a sliding
coil sleeve, which goes up and down along the coil; or maybe a slug inside
the coil which you moved up and down in some manner:  there's normally some
type of tuning or matching apparatus for those antennae to maximize use on
particular bands.
But regardless of how, the fact you were able to hear CW signals on 80
meters, but little to no signals anywhere else, both encourages, and puzzles
me.
(I wonder if you tried to use the antenna on the inside of the apartment's
window, or on the outside of it.  If on the inside, the fact that you heard
signals at all, may bode well for the apartment's lack ofsignal blocking
materials in its' walls, floors, and or ceilings.)/ {To further check out
this point, If you have a portable short wave radio, preferably one with
SSB&Or CW Receiving capability, using good batteries and the included
telescoping antenna, tune around  160, 80, 60, 40, 30, 20, 17, 15, 12, and
10 meters/maybe setting a memory on each band, while indoors ,to see how the
signals sound./Now, take the radio outdoors and listen to the differences in
signal strength between the two areas.
If you get fair to good signals indoors, you've got a lot of hope for help.}
[If you only tried to use the mfj antenna indoors, we'll discuss other
possibilities later.]
While we're on the subject of the MFJ, please excuse a dumb question, but,
Are you sure you deployed and tested that antenna according to its'
directions?---and that there wasn't either a short in the coil, or an open
wire somewhere?   Because Even with rotten band conditions, you'd normally
presume that signals on 60, 40 and or even maybe 20 or 30 meters  mightbe be
at least as, if not more, receiveable than those on 80 meters.

Now then, other than that MFJ antenna, if in fact it won't do what you need
it to do, I wonder what your situation is, 1, in terms of how long you
intend to stay at that apartment,  and 2, as to your "sightedness, and or
availability of knowledgeable sighted help.
Assuming you plan to stay there for more than several months, If the
apartment management is ok with an outside antenna,
if you can get some sighted reccanoitering and deployment help,  to size up
the possibilities for a  G5RV or similar commercially available antenna, or
somewhat cheaper but similar homebrew Dipole antenna, using trees or other
"already installed on site, items for support, such an antenna is likely
your least expensive and best hope.
Indeed, it may be possible/depending on how the buildings are configured, to
install a wire dipole under the overhang of the roof, possibly even using
the rain guttering of the building for an antenna...stranger things have
been successful.
     Now of course, if the dipole idea's not practical, a butternut or
similar "base station" vertical , may be your simplest and best way to go,
preferably one designed to work with no to few radials,/depending on the
metal pipe three or four feet in the ground, for grounding and counterpoise.
I've had several such verticals over the years, and although not as
effective as some other antenna types, they'll still "get you out."
And since both the dipole, and the simple vertical, tend to be pretty
semipermanent, /(removable if necessary,)not real hard to deal with, and or
look at,/if done right, items, apartment management will likely be ok with
them, if installed with regard to the overall looks of the place.

If none of the above prove useful,
If you tried to use your MFJ on the inside of the apartment, you'll likely
find it will do better outside, whether mounted semipermanently or strictly
temporarily.  If you have a metal porch, and or balcony, or fire escape,
atatching the clamp to one of its' railings will usually work pretty well.
It's also possible that a mobile type antenna, might be a possibility/I've
successfully used some of the hamstick type of single band antennae,/there
are several varieties, Lakeview, Iron Horse, and several others, using a
simple 3/8thsby24 threaded magmount guttermount, or mirror mount.
For that matter, one of the Texas bug catchers, or maybe , a hustler mobile
antenna/one of the possibilities with those, is their three coil&stinger
mounts, allowing for three different band coils with  short radiators, to be
atatched at the same time.**additionally, I believe that hustler 3mount
plate could be used with hamsticks as well.  I've never had or used a buddy
pole or buddy stick, although I understand they're built well,  and their
customer service is ranked very highly, although a blind friend who's used
one reports they're a little "fiddley" for a blind person to find quick
matches on.
I've been in contact with a Brazillian ham, Allexander Grimberg, who's
developed an Allex Loop/magnetic loop antenna designed for 20watt max, use
on 40-10 meters.  Allex has used blind hams to help in the development of
the unit, and it can be verry accurately matched, by tuning it by ear for
highest signal to noise ratio, with the _Only One, variable capacitor built
into the unit.
Finally, in my estimation, the simplest  most blind friendly antenna answer
I've used  which supports at least 150 watt transmissions, is the Super
Antennas MP1 Antenna system.  In brief, it is a manual screwdriver type
antenna, meaning that there's a coil sleeve which one slides up and down
along the basic/40meter through10meter coil, which has the 4foot telescoping
antenna mounted to its' top, and 2 1foot sections of rod mounted underneath
the coil.---there's also an 80meter coil one can place between the basic
coil, and the lower rod sections, or used by itself _without the basic coil,
to load up on sixty meters.  ***all connections are made via
3/8thsby24Threads, and the mounting clamp, or tripod, or rigside mounting
plate, all have coax female to 3/8by24thread atatchment adapters. At any
rate, this antenna/which I understand is similar to , but much
_lessexpensive, than the bluestar antenna,
allows for very accurate, by ear, highest signal to noise ratio/best /lowest
swr tuning,  and is a pretty efficient little antenna.  And of course, There
are other options.
If I can be of any further help, please contact me, thanks, Danny Dyer,
Wb4idu.