VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Derek Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Derek Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jun 2010 09:52:36 +0900
Hi all,

Is this a KNFB-reader style app for the iPhone?  That would be truly
amazing.  Free screenreaders like NVDA and now free OCR for a mobile
device?  Cool.  Thanks for the link!

If you haven't checked out NVDA, you should. Then tell all your
friends.  More powerful than expensive proprietary software - for
free!

NVDA comes with a talking installer and user manual with intuitive
hotkeys and amazing features like mouse echo-location and it even
works in modal windows.  I've used it successfully with IE 8 and the
latest version of Firefox, Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, and WordPress
- all the social media channels you could ask for.

Here is a link to the NVDA download page:
http://www.nvda-project.org/wiki/Download

By the way, someone mentioned another Blind tech mailing list.  Could
you please forward a link to this list?

If you would like to connect with me on Twitter, I am at:
www.twitter.com/culturemate

Cheers,
Derek

On 6/25/10, Jody W. Ianuzzi <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>coming to app store and it sounds fantastic. Hi
>>everyone, I wrote to the developer of Doc
>>Scanner yesterday to suggest they look into a
>>specifically designed for visually impaired
>>people app for OCR and I got the best response
>>ever back from them. What a company. Jussi
>>Forsstrom, Jun 24 09:47 (EEST): Hi Andy! Thank
>>you so much for your message. We are very
>>pleased to hear your thoughts and really
>>appreciate it!
It's almost ironic that you
>>contacted us now about using DocScanner as a
>>reading tool, as we are just launching an app
>>called SayText.
SayText is an app designed
>>especially for the visually impaired and by the
>>way, it's free! In a few words to describe it's
>>use, you need to place the iPhone on the center
>>of a document. There's a big button for starting
>>the tool, tap it.
Slowly elevate the iPohne
>>upwards from the document until you hear an beep
>>sound - this indicates, that the document is now
>>fully in frame and the camera will shoot
>>automatically, when the picture is stable /
>>focused.
Now only thing you have to do, is to
>>wait for a while (You can tap the screen to hear
>>the OCR progress, e.g. OCR 35%).
When the OCR

http://www.docscannerapp.com/saytext/ There's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlWJF27IdX4
>>This video is also at the SayText homepage. We
>>hope you'll find this app useful and if so,
>>please tell to your friends about it! Your's
>>sincerely,
Jussi Forsström
Norfello Oy --