From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 2010 21:49:30 -0400
Well I changed the subject line since things have moved away from Howard's
original  question on a R-2000 receiver.

The 480 has 2 high boost settings, 2 bass boost settings, a conventional
setting, and   another one called F boost or something.   And of course the
off position.  Also a user defined setting.

I guess beside the microphone, the other factor in the equation is  your
voice.   Mine is kind of deep and with a lot of on the air testing I found
that setting the 2000 to high boost  gives the best results with my voice
and the heil Gold Line mic.   I've gotten a large number of unsolicited
reports of great audio this way.   Even got an e-mail once from a guy who
was just listening and  wanted to tell me how good it sounded.   On the
other hand, I once made a mistake and slipped it into bass boost and nobody
would answer my CQ's.   Finally someone told me that I was so low that
nobody could understand me.  That's when I started using the TX monitor all
the time.

On the 480, just listening to myself with the monitor, I know that either
"off", one of the high boost settings, or the conventional setting is going
to be the one, again using the Gold line.   The bass boosts, and the F boost
all sound very bad.

The 480 also has a user defined setting, but unlike the 2000, I think this
can be changed in the free Kenwood control program.    I used this  software
over the weekend, and while I didn't mess with these  settings, the program
as a whole seems JAWS friendly.

Of course the other difference is TX bandwidth.   Always ran the 2000 at 3
khz, while the 480 can only go to 2.4 or 2.6.   Don't remember off hand
which it is.

73, Steve KW3A