From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Oct 2009 12:08:16 -0600
rick:
you were mentioning that you had some swr problems before hooking up the
amp.
Then you said you fixed those.
What I suspect is that you didn't actually completely fix those issues and
you still have a short or bad connection somewhere in the line between the
radio and antenna.
This problem may be dormant when you run only up to 100 watts, but as soon
as you put power to the antenna, the short becomes active again.
This would lead me to believe that there is either a shorted connecter, or a
single strand of brade touching a center conducter somewhere, that while on
relatively low power doesn't pose a problem with the tuner readjusting for
the discrepancy, but as soon as you punch up the power, things go way out of
whack due to the short.
on lower power, i think the tuner would account for getting your swr back to
normal, but add a bunch of rf in there, and the short becomes too much for
the tuner to counteract.
73
Colin, V A6BKX