From:
Kimberly Abeel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kimberly Abeel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Sep 2009 19:40:01 -0400

The overwhelming majority of responses stated that gluten free dog food is
actually better for dogs, as they're not really adapted to eat grains
anyway.  They're naturally carnivores.  Some commented on the cost, which is
also a factor, but I want both me and my dog to be healthy.

I am sure you will get a variety of responses on this.  I have 2 dogs and do
not feed them GF.  However, on my blog, this has been one of the most
popular topics!  A lot of interest. It's a personal choice, and if you
decide to feed your puppy, GF, you have a lot of choices.  Here's a link:
http://www.okceliac.com/blog//index.php?s=dog+food
<http://www.okceliac.com/blog/index.php?s=dog+food&sentence=AND&submit=Searc
h> &sentence=AND&submit=Search

It is necessary depending on your sensitivity level and your ability to keep
the gluten to a secluded area. With my cats I keep their food in my living
room in an airtight container, and my caregiver feeds them. I do not touch
their food at all. I also brush their teeth and wash their paws daily. This
Is aggravating but it protects me and my cats. Gluten free food is also a
financial strain even when it is pet food.

I had dogs for years.  I fed them their food in their special dishes and
kept their feed away from our food.  I never had any problems feeding the
dogs food with gluten in it, and I am sensitive to the slightest bit of
gluten.  Just use paper towels and detergent and water to wash out their
dishes and throw away paper towels.  You will be fine. Your dogs need the
protein in the grains for their health, unless they are gluten intolerant,
which is rare, but can happen.

Dogs don't make much use of grains. They are carnivores and scavengers.

Also, vegetables, in general, are not particularly nutritious for dogs.

I did that for my cat, and the food I'm giving her is better for her than
what she had before. And I don't worry about her giving me kisses :)

It's my understanding (as a person with celiac disease) that people with
celiac disease only get sick if they *eat* substances containing gluten.
Therefore, as long as you don't eat your dog's food ;) :) , prepare your
dog's food on surfaces that you prepare your own food (where your food could
pick up particles of the dog food before you eat it) , or - though I think
this is a *very* long shot - wash your food dishes at the same time you wash
your dog's dishes, I can't imagine that any of your dog's gluten-containing
food could make you sick. Also, as long as you wash your hands before you
eat anything, any gluten substances that are on your hands (that might,
ostensibly, end up in your mouth) will swirl away down the drain.

My dog eats Limited Ingredient Diet (says LID) from Natural Balance. I think
it's GF but you should check. I'm not sensitive but do have Celiac Disease.
It's really healthy and puppies and dogs can eat it. My dog loves it! Here's
the link.

http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dogformulas/allergy.html

Yes, GF Dog food is needed.

There are two problems with non-GF dog food:

1. If the dog food is dry, then there will be gluten dust in the air
whenever you pour some food into the dog's dish.  This dust can settle on
your dishes in the cabinet, and then you ingest the dust whenever you use
the dish.

2. Wheat is not good for dogs.  It is not in their natural diet in the wild.
They can react to wheat with intense scracthing and poor fur coat.  See:

http://www.wheat-free.org/wheat-allergy-dogs.html

http://www.all-natural-dog-treat.com/dogallergy.html

It may not be necessary for your dog, but since you have to handle the dog
food and the dog food bowls, and crumbs and dust from the dog food go all
over, it may be a good idea.

I have noticed many "wheat-free" dog foods .... apparently many dogs are
allergic to wheat When my mother visited the UK a few years ago she said the
pet stores had many GF dog treats and foods.

And personally, we have always fed our dog GF - dogs are constantly licking
people - and if you are really senstive .....

It's not because the gluten could go through your skin, it's because you
might inadvertently put your fingers in your mouth, same reason we do not
use hair products wth gluten.

I switched all the pets to gf pet food so that my son and I who eat gf could
continue to feed them without worry.  Also it's important to consider how
dry pet food seems to turn into particulate like dust and coat areas around
food dish, etc.  The added bonus to this was that the animals health
improved, particularly skin and other allergy type conditions.

A dog can definitely stay healthy on a gluten free diet, and there are
veterinarians who claim that they can only be truly healthy on a gluten free
diet. This website (http://www.dogtorj.com/) has a lot of very good
information about the detrimental effects gluten (as well as dairy and soy
and corn) has on pets and people. After reading some of his essays, I
switched my cats to a grain-free food and they are doing great. He has a
list on his website of the commercial foods he recommends.

Remember the Chinese dog food scare?  It turned out that dogs were dying
because Chinese manufacturers were mixing plastic into the gluten in the dog
food.  At the time, lots of people went out to look for GF food for their
dogs and there were lots of articles talking about how a GF diet is OK for
dogs.

In the wild, dogs primarily eat meat.  Grain is not in their natural diet.

Dogs can suffer gluten intolerance the same as humans.  GF dog food is
probably more expensive but is apt to be better for you and the dog.  Dog
food could be a source of contamination for you.

Wander around this web site by a veterinarian to learn.

http://www.dogtorj.net/id32.html

He also has recommendations on good dog food here:

http://www.dogtorj.net/id39.html

I imagine a dog could stay healthy though on gluten free seeing as grains
are not a natural feed for dogs, it's just cheap so it is what's put into
all dog foods. Dogs need lamb, fish, chicken etc.  I think there are some
foods out their that have a lot of rice in them, so, if you can't find a GF
dog food, you could easily make your own dog food.  They love rice and
chicken.

Good luck and may I suggest you contact the University of California, Davis
vet school.  They have done a lot of the dog food research for Guide Dogs
for the Blind.  You could even contact Guide Dogs for The Blind in
California, they must have blind partners who have Celiac.

Our dog did so much better GF - no more hot spots or ear infections.