Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 2010 15:38:37 -0700

There are still a few spaces left...

Gluten Free Day at The VegiTerranean
The Greater Cleveland Celiac Association
invites you to join us for a fun-filled afternoon
Sunday, April 18, 2010 at The VegiTerranean in Akron

We will start out with a discussion about gluten-free products and a cooking demonstration by acclaimed Chef Scot Jones of The VegiTerranean. Special guest fellow celiac, Denise Ramey LPN, will talk about mislabeling and product recalls, “Don’t be a Victim!”

The afternoon will be highlighted by a late lunch/early dinner!
The 4-course meal will include soup, salad, gluten-free bread, an entrée and dessert
as well as iced tea, soda or coffee.
A cash bar will be available for those who want to enjoy alcoholic beverages.

The event will take place at:
The VegiTerranean
21 Furnace Street
Akron, OH 44308
 Get directions
(This gluten free friendly restaurant is owned by Rock and Roll Hall of Famer, Chrissie Hynde, of the Pretenders.)
 The event will start promptly at 2PM; doors will open at 1:30
 The cost for the event including the cooking demo, talk and 4-course gluten free meal, tax and tip is just $22 for members and $25 for non-members. Everyone is invited; bring your entire family.
 Space is limited. Reservations are a must!

RSVP as soon as possible to:
Greater Cleveland Celiac Association

Contact Cindy with any questions –[log in to unmask] or 440-248-6671

**Please note this event will take the place of our regular April meeting**

 Please forward this to anyone you know who is living gluten free; everyone is welcome.
If this email was forwarded to you and you would like to join our email list contact Cindy at [log in to unmask]
Note:  In order to ensure that you get email reminders for future events
***Please let me know if you change your email address***

We need your help Promoting Celiac Awareness

Please Update and Mark your Calendars for our future Events…
We will have tables at Health Fairs on April 24th and May 15th.   If you would be willing to staff a table (any time from 9am to 1pm either day) and talk to people about Celiac and the gluten free diet let me know. Any help you can give will be appreciated.

Saturday- April 24th Health Festival in Solon-
Free cholesterol, blood pressure and glucose screenings
More than 50 booths and health- related giveaways, and special Kids area.
Theme:  Living green and living well.  Discover eco-friendly resources, vendors from farmers markets to recyclers. Free samples, family activities, health screenings, and more.

Location: Solon Community Center 35000 Portz Pkwy Solon (down the street from the Library) (http://tinyurl.com/ye73b6t  click for directions)

*Note:  Our May meeting has been changed from May 9th (Mother’s Day) to May 2nd

·  Sunday - May 2nd  -  Celiac Support Group Meeting

Saturday - May 15th  Health Fair in Independence
            Free bone density screenings
There is a strong correlation between Celiac, low bone density and Osteoporosis.  This Health fair focus is on preventing and treating Osteoporosis with more than 30 booths and health-related giveaways, bone density screenings, health related workshops, photos with your own milk mustache, blood pressure screenings, healthy cooking demos, exercise demonstrations, Kids for Stronger Bones activity area, Ask the Doctor and Ask the Nutritionist booths (times for these workshops are to be determined).
*If you are interested in participating in the Osteoporosis Run/Walk for Stronger Bones on Saturday morning, May 15th contact me for details.
Activities planned for Saturday, May 15, 2010
·         9:00 Health Fair Opens

10:00 – 10:45 – Nutrition, Lynn Pattimakiel, MD, Cleveland Clinic
10:45 – 11:30 – Kim Scott, Personal Trainer and Honorary Co-Chair “Importance of Exercise in Preventing Osteoporosis”
11:30 – 12:15 – Dr. Angelo Licata, Cleveland Clinic “Osteoporosis & Bone Density Screenings”
·         Location: Holiday Inn, 6001 Rockside Road, Independence ttp://tinyurl.com/yhcwd7l  (click for directions)

·  Sunday - June 13th  -  Celiac Support Group Meeting

************************
Visit our new website for updates and information about Celiac disease and our support group www.clevelandceliac.webs.com

***********************

FDA Gluten-Free Research Study: Participate Today!

In an effort to gain more information about the labeling of gluten-free food products the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is seeking adults diagnosed with celiac disease or gluten-intolerance or caregivers to such individuals to participate in a research study on their grocery shopping habits. Participants will be asked to take an Internet survey, which will take approximately 10 minutes to complete.

The survey is available at www.synovate.net/forgluten
Please contact Katherine Kosa at [log in to unmask] or 1-800-334-8571, extension 23901, if you have any questions about the study. To request a paper copy of the survey, please call 1-877-4GLUTN1.

Participate today and let our celiac voices be heard!
  Please respond today!

Cindy

Cindy Koller-Kass
President