Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Lois Lazar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Apr 2009 23:19:27 -0400

Thank you to those who responded to my original question, “Do you have
personal experience with becoming uninsurable or having a huge increase in
your insurance rates after a Celiac Diagnosis?  I heard rumor s that people
who are paying for personal health insurance and are not on a employer-paid
insurance plan have this problem”

The responses from both those who were and were not denied insurance are
below, along with the state if provided:

Wisconsin: It depends on how well informed the company is since we are
healhier dx than un-dx.
I was dx & g.f. for 2 decades when I had to change plans and the company
didn't consider it an issue because I'd been g.f. so long w/out problems.
One of the suggestions for getting around a potential problem is to label
it 'gluten intolerance' (must be like lactose intolernace, right???) which seem
to draw fewer red flags than celiac DISEASE.

Alaska: we have a state mandated program, achia,  nobody can be denied,
thats what i have, its spendy…for me about $880/month

No state: I've never heard of a problem with an employer-paid program, but
yes, you are right about personal insurance programs.  I know my mom has to
pay significantly higher rates because she has celiac - quite a bit higher than
my dad's, even though he smokes... not quite right.  I believe people are
pushing for that to be changed pretty quickly though, and I think there has
been progress already.

No state:  No to either of your questions, but my health insurance just
generally doesn't cover anything I need for cd (supplements, probiotics,
pancreatic enzymes....)

Washington State: When I joined the list last year, I asked the same
question.  I had been denied by 6 CA insurance companies b/c of celiac.  4
other people had the same problem; it's a group policy or no insurance.  A
couple other people had their doctors write letters and they were able to get
insurance with the letter on file.  No insurance was one of my main reasons for
going back to grad school, so I could get on a group plan.

Ohio: Yes.  I talked Kaiser into insuring me after assuring them with a letter
from my doctor that I was diet-compliant.  They refused me at first.  Anthem
wouldn't even discuss it - celiac means no insurance.
I currently have group insurance from work.  The way group insurance works
is usually the option for Cobra coverage after you stop working.  After Cobra
the insurance company HAS to sell you coverage, but it is at their discretion
what they will offer and how much they will charge you.  My husband ran into
this.  He has "pre-existing conditions" - overweight, sleep apnea, type II
diabetes, depression, high blood pressure.  It doesn't matter that these
conditions are under control with medication.  His policy costs over $600. a
month and has a $2500. annual deductible.  The only meds covered are
generics with no mail-order option.  Other insurance  companies don't even
want to talk to him.

Canada:
If you have not searched the archives yet, here are a few results on a search
http://listserv.icors.org/SCRIPTS/WA-ICORS.EXE?S1=CELIAC
with String 'denied'  and Since date of '2007-01-01'
072757 2008-06-16 16:55 37 Summary: health insurance
067334 2007-02-11 14:02 25 Update on Previous Post Re:Denied Health
Insurance
066961 2007-01-16 16:09 91 Denied Health Insurance Summary #3
066947 2007-01-15 16:01 193 Denied Health Insurance Summary #2
066946 2007-01-15 15:38 130 Denied Health Insurance Summary #1
066855 2007-01-06 18:23 26 Denied Health Insurance

Many people are focusing on a 'Celiac Disease' diagnosis while many more are
gluten intolerant and must also remain on a gluten free diet for life.

Illinois: I had the same concerns after being biopsy diagnosed while on a group
plan and having to switch to an individual plan two years later. I am in Illinois
with Blue Cross Blue Shield and they didn't bat an eye. I have heard several
people in California got rejected by insurance companies for having celiac or
got out of this world quotes. My suggestion would be to work with an
insurance agent who will make a call ahead of time to the underwriters at the
insurance company and discuss what their policies are. As I understand it,
each time you get rejected by an insurance company it goes against you
when you apply to others.
My husband and I insure ourselves so we have a huge deductible and still
have a huge monthly premium.  Our insurances rates did not increase after I
was diganosed 6 years ago.  However, when I was shopping around a few
years ago for better plans (ie monthly rates) the rates I found were
comparatively high and my celiac sprue disease was cited as the reason.  Too
bad since it can be managed with a correct diet and not medicine or other
costly procedures.

Delaware: No, I didn't have this experience and I changed jobs last June and,
thus, changed insurances and had no problems. I have Blue Cross Blue Shield.

No State: When I was doing free-lance work and ran out of COBRA, I applied
to BCBS and was "denied" coverage. However, in their reasons why, they
listed all of my many health problems, so I can't say if it was specifically for
celiac disease or not. (I put "denied" in quotes because they said I could apply
for their high risk insurance, which was much more expensive. Luckily, I now
have a good full-time job and group insurance.)

Massachusetts: yes it is impossible to get insured if you do not have an
employer. Celiacs is a preexisting condition and it scares the insurance
companies. I had to get state health insurance because no one would insure
me. Thank goodness i lived in the great state of Massachusetts where
everyone is insured no matter what.

No State: I've been turned down for everything since opening my own small
business. The last plan was the Missouri high-risk pool. They want $2800 a
month with a $5000 deductible, even though I'm on a STRICT gluten free diet
with follow up biopsy that shows complete healing. That means I would have
to pay $37,500 a year even before it would show any benefit to me what-so-
ever.

*******
*******