From:
Shailavi Jain <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Shailavi Jain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Feb 2010 17:00:15 -0800

Thank you to all that responded. Here are the responses:

We went to Playa del
Carmen two years ago.  I can't remember too clearly where we ate, but
we did not find it difficult to identify food in restaurants that my
daughter who is GF could eat.

It is a very nice place

Most of the restaurants that we found could do gluten free but
make sure you know how to say "wheat" in spanish or have a GF card in
spanish.  Ask to speak to the chef or manager.

My son did not get sick while we were there but I am betting he did get gluten at least once due to the language barrier.
We took a lot of his food along - you are allowed a certain amount of
dry ice on the plane.  Also - we went to Walmart and stocked up on
stuff that we knew was GF - although, once again the language barrier
made it difficult.
 I just returned from Oaxaca, Mexico.
I found it to be so easy. Avoid black mole which often has toasted
bread crumbs. I did really well in local markets where you can watch
the cooking. I ate lots of local cheese and tortillas. I also took two
cooking classes. They both easily accommodated me.   Have fun and enjoy
the local cuisine.

One thing you should be able to eat without a problem is cerviche.  This is
a cold fish dish, squid (calamari) I believe or conch, marinated in lime juice
with salsa with cilantro.  The
locals eat it for breakfast and lunch and anytime; it is very popular.  Another thing you should be able to eat
safely is their fresh catch of the day fish – just tell them olive oil or
canola oil, garlic salt and pepper.

  You should also be able to eat corn chips and salsa without
a problem.

  Mexicans have a tendency to “yes” you, even
though they might not understand fully what you are saying.  Ask for a waiter that speaks good English,
so he can explain it to the kitchen in Spanish again, and bring your gluten
free card in Spanish, laminated preferably, or lots of copies that you can
leave with them so they can refer to it again for other people.

  Corn tortillas should be safe to eat, but cross
contamination might be a problem, just beware.  Ask your waiter to have food preparers
use fresh gloves when handling your food.
here are two major grocery stores in PDC that are pretty close.  You
can get a cheap cab ride there or walk if you don't have tons of bags.
There is a Walmart and a Mega.
These
are NOT like our grocery stores.  I found them to be kind of limited.
Mega is better in my opinion.  You can get cheese, produce, lunch meat,
beverages, stuff like that.
When we travel however, we ALWAYS bring a carry on full of GF things for my daughter.
So
we brought bread, pancake mix, (which is interesting because we could
not find syrup in the grocery store there), cookies, crackers, pasta
and donuts.

We did cook in some, but ate out most of the time
without a problem.  Most restaurants have fish, steak, hamburgers,
fries, and of course mexican food.  Since my daughter (and the rest of us) love mexican food, she ate mostly nachos, tacos, fajitas all with corn tortillas.