From:
Kenneth Whyman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Sep 2008 21:28:37 -0700
The downside is that you have no centralized administration of user
logons, resource sharing, security, etcetera. To maintain a workgroup,
you need to set up all of that on EACH system you are running, and that
does not scale well. The maximum workable size of a workgroup is 20
nodes, so your network is pushing the upper limit of what a workgroup
can handle. To the best of my knowledge, Vista Business interacts best
with Server 2008, if memory serves best. Micro$oft is fond of forcing
upgrades in this manner. My solution would be to A) backlevel to XP Pro,
B) upgrade your domain controller to the latest and greatest (and fork
over even more money), or C) learn and use Linux for everything and tell
Micro$oft to jump. Option C would involve virtualizing Windows for apps
that WINE over Linux cannot emulate the Win32 shell API well enough
(very few). Option C may have the highest learning curve of the three,
but Linux doesn't cost a dime and is more stable and secure than
Windows, especially for servers and high-end workstations. Hope this
helps a bit. :)