From:
Kenneth Whyman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Aug 2008 03:26:24 -0700
That board is terminal from everything you are describing. I would say junk
it and replace. What you are describing to me suggests a failure of the
chipset, the northbridge in particular, and that the failure is
heat-related. The northbridge chip works together with the southbridge chip
to route data on the pathways between the other major components like the
CPU, the RAM, and the expansion slots. The northbridge usually doubles as
the GPU for onboard video, and the southbridge sometimes will augment
onboard sound or other functions. When either chip goes bad, the entire
mainboard is good for scrap. I think the northbridge is at fault because the
ps/2 keyboard and mouse controllers tie into it and because the GPU embedded
in the northbridge might be conflicting with whatever video card you have
clipped into the expansion slot. The only question mark in my mind is that
you closed the CMOS reset pins with a jumper. Did you leave that jumper in
place when booting the system, or did you remove it prior to starting up?