From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Nov 2009 19:30:14 -0700
Conditions weren't too bad, over all, compared to last year.  I worked a few
stations on 15 meters and heard a lot more.  I didn't copy any DX on 10
meters but heard some activity there by the bigger contest stations so there
must have been something going on up at 28 megahertz.  I also heard some
activity on 160 during this contest, too.  Overall, 40 sounded like the
best.  Loads of Europeans and Russians coming through as well.  One thing I
noticed that was different was the CW speed people were going.  When the
bands are rolling, say during a sun spot cycle that has peaked, a lot more
people appear on the bands so a variety of CW speed is represented.  With
poorer band condition, it seems the speed goes up, thus to make more
contacts while the getting is good.  Of course, contesting CW software has
helped a lot over the years but I heard lots of guys running 35 and 40 words
per minute and a handful running 45 to 50 words per minute.  On 40 meters
and Saturday night, I heard Dx working the states clear up to 7096 KHz, too,
and I don't think I've ever copied anything up that high in the CW band
during a contest.  All this normally means even better contesting conditions
during the ARRL contests in February.

Phil.
WWW.RedWhiteAndBlue.ORG