From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 20 Nov 2009 16:30:34 -0500
Every time I discuss the FT-950 on this list, I get a lot of flak about its
inaccessibility.  I don't expect that there will be any firmware changes
that affect its accessibility in the foreseeable future.

I haven't found ways to adjust menu settings with software, but you can set
some of them by counting from a known position, and by putting the Custom
Settings button onto a known menu item number.  You have direct frequency
entry.  You can tell by ear how the various receiver adjustments are set,
once you are familiar with them.  If I am cruising around the bands and want
to know what frequency I have landed on, and didn't earlier set a frequency
fairly near to the one of interest, I can start up N1MM or Ham Radio Deluxe
and find out the current frequency.  I do a lot of operating without these
programs running, but they can be helpful for this purpose.

If you want a Yaesu radio with some accessibility, consider the FT-450,
which has a built-in voice module available.

I'll be operating some in the phone Sweepstakes contest this weekend,
logging using N1MM.
73,
Lloyd Rasmussen, W3IUU, Kensington, Maryland
Home:  http://lras.home.sprynet.com
Work:  http://www.loc.gov/nls