From:
Dave Marthouse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Nov 2009 16:42:01 -0500
                There are two dos programs that I have used to track
satellites and control antennas in as/el since 1991.  They are QuikTrak by
N4HY and Instantrack.  You can get them from the amsat store at
www.amsat.org.  They will run under dos on windows xp.

If you want to use such software to control antennas you must have a
computer that can handle the old style isa slots.  That's the old long
cards.  There is a device called the Kansas city tracker or the KCT that
slips into the isa slot that is than connected to an as/el rotor.  The bad
thing about this arrangement is that the KCT is no longer made and the
company that made it is out of business.  There are other methods of
controlling antennas but they won't work with these old dos packages.

The current generation of windows software is extremely graphical and I
haven't had much luck in running them efficiently with speech.  There is a
program in the current generation of windows software that may have
potential.  It's pcsat32.  You can get a demo through the amsat site
mentioned above.

Eventually my old dos box that I use for rotor control is going to give up
the ghost.  It's 13 years old.  To ad to this I am having a problem with my
KCT card.  So push is coming to shove on the issue of accessible sat
tracking systems.  Maybe a talented jfw scripter can iron out the
accessibility issues with pcsat32.

In the mean time you can get QuikTrak or InstanTrack to work under dos in
xp.  You can at least get aos and los times as well as positional
information on the birds.  As far as antenna control you will have to
scrounge up an old box with isa slots and a KCT board.  Both of these things
are becoming rarer by the day.

It would be sad to see satellite operations with speech become out of reach
do to this accessibility issue.

I hope this backgrounder on the topic helps.

Dave Marthouse N2AAM