From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Sep 2009 13:45:05 -0400
Rick,

I'll say "amen" to everything John said.  the fact that things get worse in
the wind would make me look hard at the antenna and it's coax connection. If
the antenna is ground mounted and the coax  isn't flopping around in the
wind, more likely the antenna itself, but that coax connection should be
checked carefully with a meter if you have one.

Since you have an amp, you should have a dummy load.   Disconnect the coax
from the antenna and connect to your dummy load.    If you see the same
problem,  the fault is between rig and dummy load.   Check  all connections
for tightness.

Most likely you will find the problem isn't there anymore and that leaves
the antenna as the culprit.    Check all  screws and clamps for corrosion
and tightness.  Remove any corrosion and apply penatrox or similar to the
joint.   Make sure all is tight and  get back on the air.

73, Steve KW3A