From:
Howard Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Apr 2009 06:58:24 -0500
Ethics always make for interesting discussion.  Unfortunate it's a topic
like abortion or gun control.  Everybody talks and nobody listens.  Now, if
you are selling a piece of equipment on a swap net, and you quote a price,
is that illeagal, because you are "using ham radio for commercial
purposses"?  What if you just mention a price range?   What if you are using
a phone patch, which you never hear any more, or an auto-patch which is
almost as rare.  Are you steeling from the communications companies by using
ham radio to avoid paying for a phone call?  If you sing on the air, are you
violating rules by transmitting music on ham radio?  Certainly if I am doing
the singing, the answer is no, because that noise can't be construed as
music by anybody.  My point is, that everybody has his/her own code of
ethics.  We all find reasons to justify our own decisions.  Who am I to
decide your line.    On the other hand, it is inadvizable to discuss
illeagal activity on public lists for obvious reasons.  Can we say that
nobody on this list hasn't had any alcohol before the legal age to drink?
What about the smoking of the canibus plant?  But we don't talk about in
public on the Internet.