C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 10 Sep 2009 15:14:16 -0600
From:
Linda,

The "arbitrary caps" that were mentioned are something I'm all too
familiar with.  My insurance is one of the better plans in Wyoming
(the state employees group insurance), and it places a cap of $2K per
year for outpatient physical therapy.  At approximately $150 per
visit, that's a little more than one visit per month (13.333 visits).
With the imbalances in muscle tone that CP can cause, if you have an
accident and injure a knee (which I did in July) or fall and break a
bone (which I did in April), those 13 visits can be used up pretty
quickly.

My boss from 15 years ago was a quadriplegic from an accident, and had
a $2 Million lifetime cap for all medical care under the state plan.
He maxed it out after a surgery went wrong to place rods to straighten
his back.  About two years after that, he died, in part because even
the state's high risk insurance pool wouldn't insure him.

For two years when I was in high school (1977-1978), I had some
serious medical problems and spent about 6 months in three different
hospitals.  I saw the bill from one, and it was over $250,000.00; I'd
be surprised if the other two were less than that, so if I were still
covered by that company, I'd probably be pushing th $2 million cap as
well, if that company had the same thing

I'm still fighting to get an appropriate wheelchair, too.  So, health
care reform is something we should all be concerned about, whether we
have CP, another health condition, or have a family member with a
disability or health condition.

For those of us with CP, getting insurance that's not part of a large
employer based group is likely not an option, because it is much too
expensive, if an insurance company will even look at you.  That's the
pre-existing conditions clause.

I know you know all this, but it feels good to have someone to discuss
it with.  I wish Ken Barber would come back so that we can get the
other side of the argument.

--

Kendall