From:
"Wendy E. Betts" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Feb 1995 15:42:19 -0800

On Feb 16,  2:46pm, Karen Bulmer wrote:

} My own health analysis is done thru my son, he reacts quickly and
} easily to any gluten and he has had many different vinegars over the
} last year.  Yesterday he had his one year check-up from the time of
} diagnosis and following a celiac diet and the doctors were impressed.
} He had fallen from the 95 percentile on the growth chart to just
} below the 50th when he was finally diagnosed.  Now after following
} the diet for 1 year he is again over the 95th percentile.  They were
} amazed at his recovery.  I relate this because we use bottled Kraft
} salad dressing, Miracle Whip, Heinz Ketchup, and Homemade salad
} dressings which all have vinegar and he has still managed to recover.
} Now this is a two year old who loved ketchup on his hotdogs at least
} once and week with no adverse reactions.  Maybe there is some
} validity to the Canadian ruling that vinegar is okay for Celiacs??

Hmm.  Karen, I'm glad your son is doing so well, but I feel I should
point out that I gluten-tested Heinz ketchup and it came out positive
for gluten.  It was an old bottle though, so perhaps they've changed
the formula, or perhaps it is different in Canada.  Still, I'm not sure
that recovery alone is enough of a guideline, you don't know what might
still be happening to him internally.