C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Orzel, Michael, M." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Dec 2009 11:04:36 -0500
Karl,

Hi. I am also a person with cp and will have my 53rd birthday on 1/22/10. I am married (for 20 wonderful years) and work for the State of New York in the Office of Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities (OMRDD) in Albany, NY.

The reason why I am writing to you is regarding your comment on Aging and Cerebral Palsy. Dr. Matt Janicki used to work in the same office as I do and is studying the aging process in people with Cerebral Palsy and other disabilities.

For your information,  I included his link and his bio from The University of Maine.

Glad you are on this site.

Michael M. Orzel

Innovative Solutions and Practice Implementation Unit

NYS OMRDD

44 Holland Ave.

4th Floor

Albany, New York 12229-0001

 ( (518) 473-6255 Ê (518) 474-6224

http://www.umaine.edu/mainecenteronaging/staff/?profile=315

Formerly the director for aging and special populations for the New York State Office of Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities, is the director for technical assistance at the University of Illinois at Chicago's Rehabilitation Research and Training Center on Aging and Developmental Disabilities. He also holds a faculty appointment at the UIC's Department of Disability and Human Development. Dr. Janicki was a Joseph P. Kennedy, Jr. Foundation's Public Policy Leadership Fellow, spending a sabbatical year at the National Institute on Aging and the United States Senate. He is the author of numerous books and articles in the area of aging, dementia, public policy, and rehabilitation with regard to people with intellectual and developmental disabilities and has lectured and provided training in aging and intellectual disabilities across the world. Dr. Janicki is the past-chair of the United States International Council on Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities and the past-chair of the aging special interest research group of the International Association for the Scientific Study of Intellectual Disabilities (IASSID). He serves on the Executive Committee of the IASSID as Treasurer and is the editor of the Journal of Policy and Practice in Intellectual Disabilities. He is currently the principal investigator of a US government-funded project examining how families are aided by community agencies in support of adults with intellectual disabilities affected by Alzheimer's disease. He was the project director of an effort to provide the World Health Organization with a series of background reports on promoting longevity among adults with intellectual disabilities throughout the world and was the co-principal investigator of a project under the aegis of The Arc of the US which provided training and technical assistance to state and local aging agencies in supporting older parents and other carers of adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities who live at home.