From:
Jerry Neufeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Oct 2009 17:51:08 -0400
Hi folks,

A story of woe with regard to the Gap Titan. While I was delighted with the performance of my Cushcraft R8, the best vertical I have had in over 50 years, I wanted to benefit from CW work on 80, at least I thought I did. So, I hired an expert fellow to take my R8 down and, in its place, put up a new Gap Titan about which I had heard good things. I still do. From the outset I had problems. I have it roof-mounted, a no no for the Titan it would seem, with its exotic counter-poise system. While the antenna must be good, so many say it is, mine clearly is unhappy where it lives. It seems that these antennas like lots of open space around them, be about eight feet off the ground and have the coax feed line coming off at an angle, preferably 45 degrees, a very far cry from my situation. Next Tuesday, my man returns to haul the Titan down and, yes you guessed it, put the R8 back in its place. The entire misadventure will have cost me two thousand dollars including the labor for two guys.

Oh well, didn't need noisy 80 all that much anyway.

Regards to all,

Jerry  VE3QSO