From:
Tammy Penarczyk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 25 Jul 2009 03:55:51 +0000

Thank you to everyone for your wonderful suggestions.  Please see the summary below:

1.      i have personally never been here but i know there is a mac
and cheese place in nyc that offers a gluten free option.  i'm not
sure if it is kid friendly though.

http://www.smacnyc.com/glutenfree.html

2.        check celiacchicks.com website...they are based in NYC and have lots of restaurants

3.     My kids like 5 napkin burger- on 45th and 9th. Do not order the turkey burger because it contains wheat. Nizza ( owned by the same group) has chickpea pizza – I have not tried it and I have heard mixed reviews. Chipotle is on the corner of 44th and 9th. Fast and cheap. The list goes on. You will find that many places in NYC are now familiar with a GF diet- I went to a place called Kashkeval on 9th and 55th and they served a cheese fondue that they made without alcohol and was GF.
And of course you could get on the train and go to a place like Risotteria. I went tonight and had a GF Caesar and carrot cake for dessert- place was filled with kids eating gf pizza and gf pasta with meatballs- and frosted cupcakes!
Do you have a preference for cuisine? This is a list of restaurants in the west 40s as well as menus...
http://www.menupages.com/restaurants/all-areas/west-40s/all-cuisines/

4.        Nizza and 5 Napkin Burger are 2 great restaurants with GF menus. Both
are wonderful and not too expensive. They are both on 9th Ave between
44th and 45th St.

5.     Go to www.glutenfreerestaurants.org. ..lots of choices - just click on Find a restaurant and detailed search!

6.     Although it's not near Broadway, my daughter's favorite restaurant is Peter's Gourmet Diner...

The address is

1606 1st Ave. NYC
(between 83rd and 84th)

My opinion is that the prices are REASONABLE, the service is great and they have a LONG list of GF items! (Jess's favorite is the garlic bread and the cheese cake dessert!)

7.        Nizza or 5 napkin burger both are on 9th ave bet 44 and 45 Sts and are inexpensive and fabulous!
http://www.nizzanyc.com/photoGallery/Gluten%20Free%20Menu%205-07.pdf
http://www.nizzanyc.com/index.php

8.       Not in Times Sq area, and I haven't tried this, but it looks good and CeliacChicks.com is a very good source of information
http://www.celiacchicks.com/2009/03/glutenfree-restaurants-nyc-petit-cafe.html#more

9.       Risotteria - also not in Times Sq, but the most frequented GF place in NYC.

http://www.risotteria.com/

10.   Sambuca's, pizzaria Uno's, candle cafe, or Lilli and loo's....just did this all this over the weekend

11.     Nizza Restaurant
630 9th Ave (between 44th & 45th St.)
New York, NY 10036-3708
(212) 956-1800

And here is their GF menu

BTW - They serve Le Veneziane pasta

12.   Nizza's - excellent !!!  630 9th ave between 44th and 45th  212 956 1800 - nizzanyc.com

13.    See www.theceliacscene.com

14.   O'Lunneys on E. 47 and Broadway. Have a big menu. Irish pub. the wait staff is well read about gluten.