From:
renee euler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
renee euler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Aug 2009 14:33:39 -0500

Thanks to all the responders! My
original post: I searched the archives and found some old messages...
but has anyone dealt with Carnival Cruise lines lately? We are going
on the Conquest in September for a wedding. We've never been on a
cruise, so it's all new to us. I made the special diet request when I
booked by phone already. But based upon old posts it looks like I
should probably call them a few weeks ahead again to remind them and
then meet with the maitre'd when I get on board... any other
suggestions? Thanks, Renee, Placitas, NM

The Responses: **** This
might help: http://www.celiac.com/authors/179/Daniel-Moran

**** In
January we were on a Carnival cruise -- met with the maitre'd at
dinner the first evening and she arranged everything for me to have
gluten free everything. She came to me each evening at dinner and
took my breakfast, lunch and dinner requests for the following
evening. Even included several yummy desserts.
**** We
went on a Carnival Cruise just 3 weeks ago.  When we
got onto the boat we were told to go to the purser's desk.  The
only thing they did for us was to confirm that my son was
listed on the "special diet list".  The day you board
the ship only the hamburger bar, pizza bar, and deli will be open for
lunch so basically the only thing available for lunch is a
hamburger patty and fresh fruit.  After trying to get help
for over an hour with people that worked in the restaurants to figure
out what we were supposed to feed my son for the next 5 days someone
finally put us in touch with the head chef. The
head chef talked with my son, asked him what types of food he likes
and called to the kitchen to tell them to "prepare 5
GF pizza crust, ready for order whenever he needs them".
After a miserable start to the cruise, the rest of the week
was WONDERFUL!  We did always eat in the dining room
and not the buffet style restaurants.  When we spoke to the
head chef he asked my son to go ahead and place his order for that
night's dinner.  They served him bread with his dinner and made
him wonderful gluten free desserts each night including strawberry
shortcake and chocolate cake!  Each night at dinner the hostess
would take my son's breakfast order and dinner order for the next
day. My best advice to you is just demand to
speak with the head chef and meet the hostess when you get
on the boat.  Don't waste any time with anyone else, they
just aren't in a position to help you.

**** yes
and yes --he should have advise your waiter of your gf diet  and
every night at dinner the waiter gives you  the menu for the
next night's dinner and tells you what is or can be made gf.
Sometimes they made gf bread for dinner.  At lunch and breakfast
you're on your own but that's pretty easy.**** Last year my
family and I took a cruise with Carnival Cruise lines and I had the
best food of my life.  Our travel agent notified the cruise
lines and I also made sure that I did as well and also filled out one
of their forms.  I told them I had celiac disease and what my
dietary requirements were.  When we arrived, I spoke to the
maitre d and one of the staff was assigned to me.  She presented
me with a menu every day and I basically could have anything prepared
gluten free......and I did.  It was great and I had no problems
at all.**** I have taken a lot of cruises over the years, many on Carnival. You will do fine. If you fly on a plane to get there, and take some gluten free food with you, have a letter from your doctor saying you have to travel with the food, and airport security will leave you alone.  Ask to see the dining room supervisor when you board. You can bring pre baked bread, muffins ( I bring Bread from Anna bread, sliced in baggies, and Bread from Anna banana muffins because they keep well). The dining room can  keep them in their frig for you or you can refrigerate in your room. You can also bring gluten free bread, muffin, cake mixes and they will bake for you. After you meet the dining room supervisor, get acquainted with your wait staff. Watch them like a hawk, because this can be the weak link, but if you count on the main table waiter to watch over you, you will be ok. The wait staff get in a hurry, sometimes serving you bread, or even someone else's entree. I always continue to motivate the wait staff by giving them a $20.00 international phone card  half way through the cruise.  Most Carnival ships also have a gluten free DESSERT list, which is yummie. For breakfast, it is better to eat in the dining room, but if you do the buffet, just have your eggs cooked to order ( I do egg white omelet with fresh veggies) and  go for the fruit, cheeses, yogurt and a piece of your own bread.  Bring your own health bar snacks for shore excursions, or steal  a piece of fruit and some cold cuts from the lunch buffet the afternoon before , store in your room frig, and stick in your back pack.  The soft serve ice cream on Carnival is gluten free, as are the sherbets and plain ice cream. If you drink alcohol, they usually have potato based vodka, Rum, and their USA wines are ok.

**** Yes--I do not think you can over communicate.  On Royal Caribbean, we had to fill out a form and it took me about
10 phone calls to find someone who knew that--good luck
**** I was on a Carnival ship last spring and had a wonderful time with no
food problems. I alerted the Maître when we arrived and she took care of everything.
I did not try to make arrangements prior to our cruise because in the past it made
no difference.

**** I've
always heard you should contact them a full six weeks ahead of
boarding, no matter when you booked or that you mentioned your needs
when booking. They have to find food for special guests and
they can't do it without enough notice. When booking through a travel
agent, you can't always trust that they'll explain your needs to
the cruise company. It's best to contact them directly. My celiac mom
went on Carnival in Europe and had the best gluten-free bread
she's had to date. She had to fax her dietary needs to Carnival
and they did the rest. You will likely meet with a dining room
manager each day to pre-order your meals.**** My
experience was with Holland but my tour agent said they all run
alike.  I ate off the buffet most of the time and NEVER had a
problem.  I think it is safer than dining at our local
restaurants.  They will have GF bread for you if you request
it.  I would go to the area where the breads are and ask for GF
bread.  Then I would get in line and by the time I made it up to
the bread area the GF bread would be there or be there soon.
They toasted it carefully.  Dessert was usually Creme brulee or
ice cream. When
we dined in the main dining room  there were plenty of
selections that were naturally GF.  If I wanted something
special, I had to request it the day before.  (i.e. Pasta).
A  steak and baked potato and green veggie are easy choices or
maybe a pork chop.**** Call and remind them about a week or two before you go and yes, go to  the officer in charge of food service when you board the ship.  I always bring small zip lock bags of cold cereal for breakfast since I don't like eggs for breakfast and have even brought almond milk with me since I am on a dairy free diet. Snacks are good to bring. I haven't been on Carnival but have gone on several others. I always ask for a small refrigerator in my room as soon as we board the ship.  Like others have said, they bring you a menu the night before when you are having dinner that covers the next night and you choose what you want from it. Most of the ships take care of your dinner without a problem. Breakfast and lunch I've been on my own unless you go to the main dining room to eat and order ahead.  If you try it on your own, best to find a chef to direct you to the right foods in the buffet line. Others do not understand.