From:
Harvey Heagy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Apr 2009 10:58:36 -0400
Hi all.

I want to warn you all of a particularly dangerous root kit virus which
infected my computer.  Last Thursday night I was doing a search for articles
about Harry Kallis and Mark Fidrych when I somehow encountered a very mean
virus called WinPC Defender.  What this virus does is mimic whatever your
virus protection is so that your computer will think it is protected when it
is not while inhibiting your real virus protection.  The more you fool with
it, the more imbedded it gets into your registry, and it sends Internet
Explorer to bogus websites.  The authors of this virus or malware or
whatever it is also try to make you think you are buying legitimate virus
protection because they ask for your credit card number and they have the
usual accepting of the license agreement and so on.  My tech tried
everything he knew, but he had no choice but to reformat the hard drive and
restore it from scratch.  There is another similar one called Tricker which
does the same thing.  So beware of both of them and other root kit viruses
like them.
Harvey