C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Meir Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jul 2011 09:33:34 -0400
From: Cerebrum [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: July 21, 2011 09:27
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Cerebrum: The Dana Forum on Brain Science - July 2011

Cerebrum: The Dana Forum on Brain Science
July 2011

Dear Cerebrum Reader,
A new article in Cerebrum's 2011 Web edition is now available.

Designing a Plan for Drug Discovery in Rare Pediatric Neurodegenerative Disease
By Danielle Kerkovich, Ph.D., and Amy Drew

There are currently no cures for neurodegenerative diseases, including Batten disease, a rare and fatal disorder affecting young children. While researchers have made headway in preventing genetic disorders through preconception carrier screenings and have found potential drug targets, the gap between basic research and clinical treatment development remains. To overcome this gap, researchers in academia and the pharmaceutical industry, supported by government agencies and nonprofit institutions, must come together to share expertise and promote translational research.

Also in Cerebrum
We hope you enjoyed our recent article, Promoting Healthy, Meaningful Aging Through Social Involvement: Building an Experience Corps by Michelle C. Carlson, Ph.D., and book review of How We Age: A Doctors Journey into the Heart of Growing Old. These and all 1998-2011 articles and book features are available in our Web edition archive.

On the Dana Web Site
Now available on Dana.org: "Carving the Neural Stem Cell 'Niche'" describes how researchers are discovering details in the environment, or niche, that control stem cells' activity. Also, "Seeking Biomarkers for Parkinson's Disease" explores possible technologies that might lead researchers to signs that a person is on track to develop the motor disease.

Cerebrum - Opinion on brain science that can change your mind
212-223-4040
http://www.dana.org/news/cerebrum/
Follow Dana on Twitter: @dana_fdn

Update Your Profile, Subscriptions, or E-mail Address
Unsubscribe instantly by sending an e-mail to: [log in to unmask]
To change your e-mail address go to: www.dana.org/membership/profile.aspx
Privacy Policy
The Dana Foundation | 505 Fifth Ave, 6th floor | New York | NY | 10017