C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
KE Cleveland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 2008 15:58:53 -0400
Anthony, I'm a "single-issue" voter, too (abortion is not my top issue,
though it's up there).  With most candidates (certainly not all) you can
still gauge their stance on issues of lower importance (to you) by their
positions on issues of higher personal importance.

Being pragmatic, it seems to me that there is somewhat of a correlation
between level of disability and political lean.  I would think that most
folks who have disabilities to the extent that they need assistance from the
government to raise their "quality of life", whether it's SSI, ADA issues,
Medicaid, etc.--they are going to want a political majority that will
protect these things.  And why not?  People in a "representative democracy"
will vote for issues that aid them directly and for the party that supports
those issues.  I am fortunate enough not to need any assistance (yet), so
those issues, on a personal level, are lower on my priority list--that's
just the way it works.

What bothers me is when people support the "party" and the party's candidate
as some sort of knee-jerk reaction.  For example, I have many relatives that
moved north to the "rust belt" during and after WW2 to work in the defense
and auto industries.  They all became members of the United Auto Workers
(UAW) union, of course, and found that the Democratic Party supported their
personal interests.  Therefore, they (and the rest of the regional
population) voted straight-ticket Democrat for decades.  The problem is that
the American auto industry, and its high hourly wage for unskilled labor, is
almost dead.  And it's been dying since the 70s.  No amount of life-support
from either party is going to save it.  But my aunts, uncles and cousins
still pull that Democrat lever because....well, just because.

This floors me, because:

They don't approve of "on-demand" abortion
They "cling to their guns"
They "cling to their religion"
They disapprove of gay unions
...and so on

You get the picture?

Again, I'm trying to be pragmatic here.  Personally, I don't care much at
all for John McCain's domestic politics, though I respect him greatly for
his perseverance while he was imprisoned in Hanoi.  I'll be punching his
ticket on Nov. 4, but I'll be holding my nose while doing it.  He doesn't
really support the domestic issues that are of greatest importance to me,
but he isn't opposed to them AS MUCH as Obama is.

I'm sure Barack Obama is a nice fellow and a wonderful husband and father.
He just happens to feel differently than I do about issues that are
important to me.

Kyle